Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What went wrong?

Bootheel Egger
Bootheel Egger Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, thought I would get some input from you all about why my steaks did not turn out as anticipated this weekend.[p]First, you have to realize that we do not have good meat markets within driving distance so we have to settle for the Kroger that is about 20 minutes from my house. I go and have them cut me 4 Ribeyes about 1.5" thick although they were a bit pricey ($13.00 per lb.) to cook this weekend for the folks. These were "choice" grade angus steaks and looked pretty decent but could have had a little more marble to them in my opinion.[p]I prepared them with a splash of Dale's, salt, pepper, and a little garlic. Got the large BGE to about 800 degrees and seared them for about 90 seconds on each side, took off and let temp of egg come down to about 450 and put back on to finish. A couple of the people wanted theirs more medium to med well but I tend to eat mine medium rare. Long story short, they all turned out to be more medium well and were pretty tough. [p]I have one of the instant read thermometers they sell at the BGE retail store (the one they say the "Pros" use). Since this was my first cook of steaks with this thickness (I had cooked thinner ribeyes before with much better results) I found myself checking the temp often because I did not want my steak overcooked (which happened anyway). My problem was I wasn't sure on how long to leave in the thermometer to get an accurate reading. It seems that I went from a 120 reading to a 160 reading very fast and by that time it was too late for my medium rare. Also, was it possible the cut of meat that caused it to be tough or the way and time I cooked it.[p]Sorry to make this so long but I was pretty bummed out that we spent $50 on 4 steaks and the results were less than satisfactory to me. Of couse the folks, wife, and kids said they were fine but you all know how that goes. Any suggestions you might have would be appreciated.

Comments

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Bootheel Egger,
    One thought: The BGE thermometer I have is not instant read. I think it may take 30-45 sec to max out the temp reading. Perhaps you initially thought you were at a lower temp than you actually were? Just guessing.
    cheers, bobbyb

• WVU-Egg
    WVU-Egg Posts: 101
    Bootheel Egger,
    I also did some ribeyes last night that just did not turn out that great. They were okay but it just wasn't worth the fight to get a great bite of steak. I have been fixing filets and Strips on the egg and each time they have ALWAYS been great. First time I've done ribeyes on the egg. [p]So I think I'll just go back to the filets since they melt in your mouth.[p]Also, I paid about $6 a pound at Costco for my ribeyes. Ouch on the price at Krogers.

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Bootheel Egger,[p]I've done great ribeyes, so I don't think cut itself is an issue.[p]Couple things. 450 is a pretty high "finish" temp for me. I usually finish below 400.[p]Opening and closing the dome a lot during finish is gonna kill some of the moisture. Sometimes necessary, I realize.[p]I've never heard of a great BGE thermometer. Mine (won at a fest) is sloooooow to read. There is also a chance when you use a thermometer like that that you push it almost through and close to the grill. That will give you a fake high read. Or I've hit a bone before or embedded the tip in fat instead of meat and that gives a fake read. 160 is REAL high for a steak even if you LIKE it medium or more! You're going to get to leather real quick.[p]Just pondering thoughts.
  • Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    MollyShark,[p]We've done ribeyes about every friday since we got our first egg, and for the most part have been very successful. [p]I won't sear less than 750, the rest must be 20 minutes, and I won't put them on again until it's under 400. [p]This weekend, we had 1.5 inch ribeyes, and after a 100 second sear (we also had some filets that were slightly thicker) and 20 minute rest, we put the ribeyeyes back on for 2 and 2.5 minute respectively. The 2 per side ones were a nice med-rare, while the 2.5 per side were medium and great. [p]The filets needed a couple more minutes but were med rare too. [p]sidebar: why do butcher shops bacon wrap filets? It's worthless window dressing IMHO.[p]Just curious.
  • MollyShark,[p]Do you think 1.5" steaks are thick enough to use a polder themometer? This would definitely cut down on the opening and closing of the lid to much. Just curious as to what everyone thinks.
  • Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    Bootheel Egger,[p]I've grilled $4.99 a pound ribeyes that were great and $10.99 a pound that were the toughest piece of meat I ever had (mostly the other way around though). It could have just been the steaks.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Mark Backer,
    they wrap filets for a couple reasons...[p]i've been told one is for flavor, since there's not alot of fat in a filet.[p]but the reason i do, often, is that i find that the steaks (any cut) tend to 'relax' and spread out. wrapping the filets keeps them compact and tall (inch-and-3/4 or so). so i can go nuts with a high sear and still have med-rare well under control.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    stike,[p]I don't buy the flavor / fat thing much, but I do buy the height explanation. [p]Thanks stike. And thanks for staying on topic...
  • stike
    Bootheel Egger,
    you'll figure it out, my friend.[p]part of the problem is that steaks cook so quickly, thermometers are USELESS. especially so-called 'instant read' thermometers. only a thermapen is instant read. even then, that's about 5 seconds, and you really don't want to be opening/closing/retesting every few seconds to make sure.[p]you need to learn to tell when they are done by feel.
    but that's no help to you right now is it?[p]i'd say that you could back off on the sear time, or go just a bit thicker, say to 1-3/4". at an inch and a half, go 60 seconds. thicker, go 90. and dwell at 400, not higher. you didn't say how long you gave them to finish, either. at that thickness and temp, it shouldn't have been much more than 30-40 seconds. [p]Trex-ing is a bit of an art. you might want to get used to cooking steaks by searing one side, flipping/searing the other, and pulling them off. it'll get you used to how the steak feels at medium-rare, and it'll give you a good feel for overall sear time. then, when you have mastered that, shorten the sear time (on each side) by a third, and dwell at 400 for a few minutes. the steaks will have cooked a bit during the wait to come down to 400....[p]if you find that a 90 second sear on each side (with no dwell) gives you a med/rare steak, then for Trexing try 60/60, pull it off, then dwell for 3 minutes or so at 400.[p]i hate to say it, but it's slightly different every time, based on tequila factors, conversation factors, and steak parameterics!

• stike
    Mark Backer,
    yeah
    i don't buy the flavor thing, otherwise it should be wrapped with BEEF fat.[p]i'm tryna figger a way to keep the rib-eyes from splaying wide when i cook them. i had one at a restaurant saturday night, and it was pretty good. but what struck me was that it had held together. i only flip once, but even mine start to come apart.[p]now, that's a sign of a well-marbled steak, sure, but maybe there's a way to cinch that sucker up so it stays all -purty-like.

• stike
    Bootheel Egger,
    they aren't 'too thin', sometimes you just can't wait for them to cut the steaks and you grab a package...[p]but you DO need to try to get off the thermometer habit.[p]i hate to offer this but it sorta works.[p]wiggle your finger on the tip of your nose. that's pretty close to how 'rare'feels.[p]about a half-inch up your nose (cartilage) feels 'medium'.[p]further up, on the bone, is 'well'[p]another test is;[p]open your hand and relax it.
    push the pad of your thumb with you other pointer-finger tip. that's 'rare'.[p]middle of the hand: 'medium'
    tip of a finger: 'well'

• stike,
    just take a piece of butcher's string and wrap it all the way around the steak.. .it'l hold together. . ..

• stike
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    well
    "of course, dear"[p]sorry
    i am used to saying that.[p]ok, now, i DID think of that, but i hadn't ever detected that before on a steak served to me. do you guys truss these puppies? i never have

• stike,
    hey, the four most important words in a marriage!! LOL[p]i never have trussed a steak (either rib eye or filet) . . .I have trussed bone in prime rib roast when the butcher gave me the big slab of fat to wrap it in... .but since you had asked, i figured i'd offer a solution. .. .you could use toothpicks too for that matter. . .

• James
    James Posts: 232
    Bootheel Egger,[p]I think your steaks should have been a little bit thicker. Also, I think 450 might be a bit too high for the finish.[p]

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    stike,
    Flip food that falls apart easaly like fish and tender steaks with a commercial grade stainless spatula. They look like a rectangle trowel. Oil it first, shimmy it under your grilled steak and flip. Better than tongs. I've seen chefs flip steaks- it's all in the wrist. :)

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    I like that. I'll bet there are other places you can do rare, medium, well. Lemme check and report back.[p]mShark
  • Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Bootheel Egger,
    Other tests for doneness:
    on the bottom of your forearm (palm side) press down close to your elbow: rare. Half way between elbow and wrist: medium. At the wrist where your watchband buckles: well done. This is the test I use for really thick cuts like 2" filets.[p]The muscle between thumb and forefinger is similar to rare with a relaxed hand, well done with a tightly clenched fist and medium with gentle squeezing.[p]More and more fun, MShark.[p]On strips, I can tell by the flop factor. I pick the steak up by one end and the degree of flexibility left in it speaks to the doneness. The behavior depends on the thickness, so it's just practice and observation.