Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hangersteak with day late mushroom sauce

Options
dhuffjr
dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was wondering if there is a Julia Childs marathon on cable as I had to hit two stores for shallots last night and I bought all that was left when I found them.

Kids where off and so were mom and dad so we made dinner tonight. Picked up a pack of hanger steaks at the Restaurant Depot at Christmas. Thawed them and trimmed them all up this morning. I also thoroughly abused them with a jacardi.

IMG_0238-1.jpg

Put them in a bag with a mini bottle of red wine and some cheap balsamic with chopped shallots and some additional salt and pepper. I had bought fresh thyme and rosemary but forgot to put them in.

While the meat was getting happy we took the kids skating. The wife and I both fell once after a 30 year break from skating. I recommend skipping this step.

I love Shaking the Tree on baked potatoes so I thought I'd save a step/force my way of eating them on the family and cubed up the potatoes and tossed them with a stick of melted butter and gave them a nice coating of STT. Turned out awesome!
IMG_0244-1.jpg

The steaks were more done than I would have liked but were still great.

IMG_0243-1.jpg
The over doneness was in part to the mushroom sauce distraction. I had dumped the steaks and marinade into the pan and scrapped off most of the shallots and let the liquid stay in the pan. Added a pack of "restaurant blend" mushrooms and cooked away. When it reduced I punted with some better for gravy flour and added a can of beef broth and cooked it all down.
IMG_0241-1.jpg
hangersteakwithSTTpotatoes-1.jpg
Plated with the addition of a salad and this was a mighty fine meal. Next time I need to remember the herbs and I'll hit the steaks with some RTS rub or just some salt and pepper before putting them on the Egg.

Comments