Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which Egg Large or XLarge

Options
BuckeyeinSC
BuckeyeinSC Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello folks. New to the board and I want to get an EGG. I'm struggling between the L and XL. Money is not the issue. We primarily cook steaks, chicken, ribs etc but I'd like to get into using it along the lines of a "brick oven" for pasta and pizza.

What do you experts say? Thanks!!

Comments

• Fire Walker
    Options
    With out a dought an XL you get major grill realstate. It might burn slightly more lump and I mean slightly if money isn't a problem go big. I've never heard anyone say gee I should have gotten a smaller grill.
    Firewalker
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    If money is truly no object and space considerations are not an issue I'd go with the XL.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    If money is no issue, buy all your eggs up front. Get the XL, Med, and Mini. I have all but the XL, and would trade my large for one.
  • MCR
    MCR Posts: 270
    Options
    XL, Med and Mini... Very nice combo.
    Marc
  • Bagger722
    Options
    I have an XL and a small. The XL is great cause you do not have to worry about having enough space for cooking. Like the others mentioned, if the XL fits in the budget and you have the space, do it up. Well worth it. Also, consider getting one of a smaller size for doing cooks for just one or two people.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    I have both (plus an SBGE) but if I had to choose one to start off, I'd go with the LBGE, only because of all the accessories available for that size.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    Exactly the same question I asked here last summer. After much consideration, I went with the XL and couldn't be happier with it. I cooked many years with a Weber "Bullet" (same size grid as the large) and was always wanting/wishing I had more "horizontal" space. There are plenty of arguments for both, but in the end, it's just a matter of preference. I'm sure you'll be happy with either.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I have a large and so far has given me more than enough space. My wish list is a small...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Goody
    Goody Posts: 102
    Options
    I was in your boat last year, XL or large. After weighing through numerous posts and opinions from the wise people on this forum, I chose the Large. I did that with the intent of getting another Large at a later date. Now if money is really no object to you at this point, then I would go get the two Larges now.

The issue is not really capacity of a single egg as I have never found a cooking situation where I could not fit all of a single food item for guests on one Large egg. Even when cooking for 8 - 10 people. The real thing with the multiple eggs is you can cook multiple food items at different temps at the same time! Big advantage. Of course I have learned to plan and work through this with 1 egg, but there are still some situations that are a little tricky. Even after a year of cooking I do not regret my decision to go with the Large, even though I do not yet have the 2nd, but it is in the works.

Now you say why 2 Larges? Well if you have two eggs of the same size, all the accessories work on both eggs. Plate setters, grates, spiders, whoo's, whatever. I guess the only thing that can be better than 2 Larges is 2 XLs if you really want to go crazy! :laugh:
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    Large and Small or Mini. Way more versatile than the XL. Cook at different temps or techniques. I live alone and have a Med and Mini. Love them both. Two are always better than one.
  • No Trash
    Options
    That is like asking which child you love the best. It is not a fair question. I have an XL and love it. I have never had an issue. We are a family of 4 and will do large cooks and eat leftovers. When the kids leave home I am get a large or med. I love pizza on the XL, I can do 2 at a time... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Welcome, Buckeye. Here are a few opinions. The question has been asked before. :)

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?searchword=what+size+egg&dtstart=0&dtrange=0&orderby=score&pagelength=50&returnfirst=0&option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=112&func=search

I have a large and a mini. Delighted with both.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• greenfan
    Options
    I have an XL. I don't regret it at all. I have even cooked one hamburger on it before. On the other end of the spectrum, I can cook 3 slabs of ribs FLAT without having to stand them on their side, etc.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    I have a LBGE and a SBGE. There is only the two of us and we use the SBGE 50% of the time. Decide how much cooking real estate you need and make you purchase based on that. If you wind up getting Egg-dicted one will not be enough.
    Have fun egging!
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • benny
    benny Posts: 109
    Options
    I have a large. I am buying an xl at the waldorf egg fest.

I would go with the xl for four reasons:
    1) a full rack of ribs can be done flat or in rib racks.
    2) same with a brisket.
    3) more space for a pizza / bread oven
    4) bigger is better! more room to work, airflow around meat. can cook for a bigger group when needed.
  • jurisdoc
    Options
    I've got an xl, but several buddies have larges. Boils down to how much you'll be cooking for a crowd. If you have 8 or 10 people over, the xl is nice because all the burgers, brats, etc. can be cooked at one time. If you never cook for more than 4 or 5, the large is probably plenty. Nice to cook 2 or 3 pizzas at once on a xl too.

xlarge is no more trouble, just burns a tad more charcoal. I like that on smaller cooks, or when I fire it up to cook bacon & eggs I can almost make it two zone cooking when I start the fire near the back.

I've never said "I wish I'd bought the smaller egg" and I have heard "Man, that xl of yours would sure be handy" from my friends.

Now, with that said, I do want another egg, probably a medium or small, so that I can do direct and indirect at the same time.
  • jurisdoc
    Options
    By the way, where are you in SC?