Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Beef Brisket Recipe - Cooling Time

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday, I tried to use our new BGE and the BBQ Beef Brisket recipe, cookbook p. 40, to have a 4.47 lb. brisket ready for dinner about 7:30 p.m. After doing everything per the recipe, making ajustments for the greater weight of my brisket, I put it on the BGE at 5:30 p.m. I will say that in my more than 35 years of grilling experience, I have never seen a grill I could so easily ajust to hold a precise temperture as the BGE. Yet, at 9:30 p.m. I gave up. It still wasn't done. My wife put it in the oven and cooked it for 2 more hours @ 300 deg. We're having it tonight and she says it's delicious. However she also says she cooks a brisket all day. What did I do wrong - what happened?
Thanks;
Sam

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Sam Colville,
    First forget the cookbook and come to this forum for assistance. Brisket cook at 250* for about 12-14 hrs with an internal temp of 200*. Larger briskets will require longer cooking times. Use a v-rack with a drip pan.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Sam Colville, your 1st mistake was following the cookbook. The 1st thing I did with that little critter was place it is a very safe place (can't exactly remember where) and ask for advice on this forum. [p]I've never done a brisket (except as beef jerky) so I can't help you out there, but I'm sure that Nature Boy (also fondly called 'Brisket Boy' - NB, I jus gave you a new name) and others will offer their comments.[p]Good luck next time. It only gets better!

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    homer2.gif
    <p />Sam Colville,[p]JJ was not kidding - ignore the cookbook.[p]Welcome to the wonderful word of the Egg.[p]Tim M
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    homer2.gif
    <p />Sam Colville,[p]JJ was not kidding - ignore the cookbook.[p]Welcome to the wonderful word of the Egg.[p]Tim M
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Tim M, cute picture. I think you should re-register as 'Chef Homer of the EGG'! Have a GREAT EVENING!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Sam Colville,
    The other great folks here have filled you in on the fact that the BGE book is to be ignored. Ashame, as many great recipes and advice we have here on the forum every day, that the cookbook can't incorporate it somehow..[p]Briskets are best done indirect. Dome temp 225-270. Time 2 hours per pound minimum. Patience is the key. Whole briskets with minimum 1/4 fat cap are best. Don't open the egg much....if at all. The results are wonderful. Lots of flavor, and very moist. No foil needed.[p]Happy Chunk-o-chest
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • CajunEggHead
    CajunEggHead Posts: 189
    Options
    They want $50 for the cook book when ordered and there is Thousands of dollars in recipes from some of the best Green Egg cookers on the planet right here. Forget about the book and listen to these experienced people

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Options
    I think this is the oldest post in have ever seen. It's from May 2000. Good advice though haha