Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brussels Sprouts and mushrooms (yeah ME)

Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ms Mayberry jerked my chain earlier about brussels sprouts, mushrooms, etc. (she likes to do that :)) so I decided to give them another try. This is not an Iron Chef entry, btw - I just decided to throw the 'shroom in for Judy. I figured it was brussels sprouts - even mushrooms couldn't hurt! :)

So, I bought some fresh BS haha and a smallish portobello. Cut up the bello into fairly small pieces, added a couple of whole peeled garlic cloves and tossed everything together with evoo and s&p and put it all in a CI skillet.

Started some chicken quarters (evoo, s&p, herbes de Provence and a sprinkling of corn starch) about 15 minutes earlier (400° raised direct, maple for a little smoke) and added the skillet after 15. Roasted them together for another 35-40 minutes.

I meant to grate some Italian provolone on the brussels sprouts when done, but they were so good, I forgot!! By the time I remembered, I only had about 4-5 left. So I did it anyway. Even better with the cheese!! I ate one chicken quarter - and EVERYTHING in the skillet!! Every last bite!

The pineapple was an afterthought. Happened to have a can and some Pineapple Head so I threw a couple of slices on at the last minute. Can't wait til I get a real pineapple - those were great!!

Consider me a BS convert! :laugh:

5463895694_bcdea859ba_b.jpg

5463896072_05f1948c9f_b.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    You've been doing a lot of converting lately :whistle: I'll still pass on the BS :P
  • Carolina Q
    1) what else did I convert on? you may be right, I just don't remember! :laugh:

2) i thought you were the MASTER of BS. :whistle:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• All looks good. Brussels are a fan favorite around here - and they go good with bacon :). The provolone sounds like a good addition too Haven't tried Pineapple Head but it won't be long!
  • Carolina Q
    hahaha - everything goes with bacon! :) If you try the provolone, don't bother with the deli stuff, not for this dish anyway. Get some good imported Italian. Awesome flavor! This is what I used...

2010-08-04_WFMW_Calzones6.jpg

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• You are right on with that! Think bacon is the only reason my 9 year old daughter devours the sprouts!
  • Lobicho
    Lobicho Posts: 557
    wow
    looks greaaaaaaaaaaat
  • I am SO touched.

As usual you've pulled off a rip-roaring success and I am going to copy you sometime this week. Flattered? I too have BS on hand...a bag of them in my refrigerator, I mean. Also just enough Auricchio to use on them. Wow, my wedge cost $12 or $14 at the Italian deli and that was a few months ago...who knows how much it is today. I have to use it sparingly and this looks too good to pass up.

Think about putting a cookbook together! Your plate looked scrumptious.

Oh, I forgot avocado.
    Judy in San Diego
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Well well well will wonders ever cease. Never say never but, I never eat BS either or mushrooms for that matter. Great post Michael. ;)
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Go Daddy!! You tell them that you only eat LONEY, no sides.
  • Carolina Q
    Thanks, Tim. You should try this dish - it's surprisingly tasty. Plus, BS are supposed to be good for you. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Yeah, the provolone is about $15/lb here. Just bought more yesterday.

Avocados? Don't push your luck. :P

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    He is flip floping on us Richard! :laugh:
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    i don't normally do sprouts, but those look great!
  • Carolina Q
    haha - I hear ya, man!! You should give it a shot. You could always have a can of corn handy, just in case! :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Way to go. Most people have bad memories of overcooked, yucky brussel sprouts from childhood. When they are cooked right, there is just no comparison. I agree with Gregg, throw some bacon in there!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Micheal, I checked at my Italian market, and they carry three types of provolone. The one you have there is the sharpest of the three.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• Looks good Michael! :)

The pics are beautiful.
  • Carolina Q
    Works for me. :) Bought some more yesterday, but it didn't have the same black label that said aged 18 months. They had some for $13 and some for $15, which is what I paid last time, so I got the $15 stuff again. Haven't tried it yet so I'm not sure what I just bought.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Not sure I even had it as a child. I suspect Mom knew better! :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Thanks, Rebecca. Will definitely do it again!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Fresh sprouts are amazing. I think a lot of haters only have them out of the freezer.
  • I have a girl friend whos mom boiled brussel sprouts to death for her whole childhood. She couldn't even stand the sight of them as an adult. Then I made them, fresh off the stalk, cooked them with bacon, and she loved them. Now she's a convert like you.

You can also take all the leaves off of them, if you have the patience, and saute them in the CI. It cooks alot quicker that way.

• BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    YUM!! Those look great! :)
  • Carolina Q
    Thanks, Faith. Glad your friend is no longer scarred for life!! :)

Bacon next time for sure. Not much doesn't taste better with bacon! I think I'll just cut them in halves or even quarters. I was looking for them on the stalk (I've seen them at that store before), but they didn't have them this time. They had fresh ones, but they were already cut off.

Next up, maybe beets? I've never had beets that didn't come in a can! :blush:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• You are in for a real treat! You bake them in a foil pouch for around an hour (can't remember the details) and slip off the skin and slice them when they're soft. They're wonderful as a salad with goat cheese or blue cheese and field greens maybe, and toasted or candied walnuts or pecans.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Carolina Q
    Thanks, Judy. I'll get around to it one of these days. :) That or tater tots. :pinch:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut