Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast iron question

Options
Austin Egger
Austin Egger Posts: 256
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I finally got a Lodge cast iron skillet that I want to start having fun with. I've never cooked anything on cast iron. I tried to find a video of someone using one on the egg but was unable to find one although I have seen some pics of people here using dutch ovens, so I have a few questions. When cooking breakfast items like pancakes and eggs, what temp do you usually want to maintain at the dome...350ish? Is there a preference in regards to direct or indirect? Do you usually keep the dome open when cooking items that need more attention with flipping or stirring or do you want to try and leave the dome closed as much as possible? Is there a max temp that the cast iron can withstand? Just want to know the basics before I start eggsperimenting. I appreciate all input! :)

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC04896gg.jpg

Actually you don't need real high cooker temps as cast iron is a good conductor of heat. and I cook with the lid closed or just propped open enough to peek in and see what's going on. It's best to let the piece preheat slowly and ease up to temp. You can judge temp by bouncing a drop of water on your CI or a little oil works too. I have no videos.... but plenty of stills. Heheheee.

DSC05650JPGA.jpg

DSC08938a.jpg

DSC01158a.jpg

DSC01188a.jpg

DSC01145ac.jpg

DSC08605a.jpg

DSC04886g.jpg

DSC07546a.jpg

DSC00034a.jpg

DSC04873s.jpg

DSC06608JPGathrowdown.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    When I use the fry pan as a "frying pan", as in your question regarding pan cakes....They take such a short time, I never close the dome. This holds true when I'm using my wok also.
    Can't really say what temp. I've got, but I have the draft open about an inch or so and my rule for when the pan is hot enough is that a drop of water will "dance".
    If I use the pan or Dutch Oven for a casserole, I run a dome temp. of 300 to 350 F. at the max.
    As for what temp. CI can take. I don't have a number in my head, but it's a lot!
  • Austin Egger
    Options
    Very nice cooks! Thanks for the input! Do you think that your dome is probably less than 300 degrees for those cooks?
  • Austin Egger
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I appreciate it! :)