Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp issue

Options
Eggbert 75
Eggbert 75 Posts: 42
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Guess its time for the bbq guru and a new gasket...have the daisy wheel closed.....bottom vent 1/2" and sitting at 275ish....

Comments

• Eggbert 75
    Options
    Trying to get the temp down too 250....not working
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Eggbert 75, It may be a little late now. Hope it's going good now. Not sure what you plan to put in there but, if you want your egg to stabilize at 250F dome try catching that temp on the way up. Now I haven't done this but I have heard some say put a cold mass in there temporary to absorb some of that heat. If it's a butt I would go ahead and put it in. I don't know much about a brisket but, if you put it in it will absorb the heat and you can watch it for a couple of hours and still get your temp at 250F dome. You may have to baby sit some. Good luck.

Oh yeah I love my CyberQ II. :whistle:
  • jurisdoc
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I agree with 2Fategghead. Catching the temperature going up, and drastically slowing it down around the 200 mark, is the only way I can lock it in at 250. Once it's at 300, it takes a LONG time to come back down (which is why the ceramic egg is so awesome, it holds that heat in). It took almost an hour for my egg to creep up from 200 to 250 after I put 8 racks of ribs on. But when it got there, it was solid for 5 hours.

Also, for what it's worth, my bottom vent was open maybe 1/4 inch and daisy wheel was open about the same.

Be patient, very patient.
  • Eggbert 75
    Options
    Thanks guy........i was able to get it down after about an hour so hopefully it didn't mess the cook up too much...was about 25 degrees warmer then i wanted. But she has held its place at 250 for the rest of the time !!! Thanks guys for the tips....i added some cool liquid to my drip pan. Brisket is looking good !

Egg
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you don't need a guru.

if it is too hot, it is ALWAYS because the fire is getting too much air. that said, give it time to come down. you are driving a tractor trailer that takes a long time to get going and a long time to slow down. you can't dial it in too quickly..

and FWIW, you, the meat, and the world's greatest barbecue judges cannot tell the difference between a butt (or brisket, or ribs) done at 250 and one done at 275
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you couldn't mess it up if you cooked it anywhere between 200 and 300. it would just take longer or be done quicker
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Great! Right at 275.
  • Ricklesss
    Options
    Stike,
    That's a really good point.
    Coincidentally, not an hour ago I just printed out Kim (vidalia1)'s method of cooking a pork butt at high temp (350*ish)which I want to try, "just cause".
  • transversalInactive
    Options
    Juris.....you took the words right out'a my mouth. I have to learn to be more patient. It's immensely easier controlling temp by "catching it on the way up," rather than trying to pull it down. But, I think I panic sometimes when it jumps over the target or goes below.....particularly when it occurs becasue I just put the meat in or added cold cider to the pan.