Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Babybacks and chores

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
BabybacksSnow.jpg
<p />Hello all. Driveway to shovel and wood to split, so I woke up with a craving to cook ribs. Went to Costco when they opened, and opted for some babybacks, which I have not cooked for years....usually it is spares. Anyways, cut a nice chunk off the fat end of each slab, froze the thin ends, and got em on at noon 30 (an hour before beer thirty)....along with some Allman Brothers....which, by the way, is fantastic music for Qing, snow-shoveling, and wood splitting.[p]Hope yall got something good cookin.
Beers
Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]great picture, and story to go with! [p]No snow shovelling here today, just some fog and melting snow from overnight. [p]I've got some wings a-cookin, I promised a few days ago to post some pics so now I'm going to follow up...[p]Chuck
    [ul][li]live cam - fog and melting snow [/ul]
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Those ribs look great. [p]No snow shoveling here...but I'm finally catching up with my huricane clean-up.[p]BOB
    [ul][li]Snow[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    BabybacksTakeShape.jpg
    <p />Howdy chuck,
    I'll have to jump over to another browser later and check out your cam. Can't on this ancient netcape. Also look forward to your wing pictures.[p]Bunch of shovelling done, and the sun is settin on a beautiful afternnon. These babybacks got this brain-lookin thing goin on, but they sure smell good.[p]Enjoy the wings. Go Terps!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Yo Bob.
    Thanks. That weather forcast looks rough with 68 degree days! We'll get there....in three months.
    Good luck with t he cleanup
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Man that's some funny-lookin' brain thing goin' on there![p]Are you sure your egg isn't a secret transporter for funny-lookin' mutant babyback brainy rib creatures from planet Dizzy Pig?[p]LOL![p]Chuck
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    BBacksGlazinUp.jpg
    <p />LOL, Chuck.
    The light was real low in the sky and makin some funky shadows.[p]Ribs are startin to get that glaze from the melting colagen and fat. Cookin along real nice.
    Great evenin to ya from Planet Dizzy Pig.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy,
    hope the ribs turned out ok, they look great. What method do you use for Ribs. I know there is plenty of different ways, just haven't had much luck the last couple of times. They taste is good but they have come out a little tough. Love ribs just have been disappointed the last couple times

• Nature Boy
    Options
    gdub16, Souns like you need to cook them more.
    I trim them up a bit....cut off any loin meat that is still attached, and any thick areas of fat. Then rub em up and pack on a little extra turbinado sugar. Rest 2-4 hours. Then I get the egg to about 250 with a good established fire, and a light whisp of apple smoke. Drip pan hanging under the main grate, then a grid extender and a second grate. This puts the ribs at the level of the top of the bottom shell.[p]After they start getting some good color I notch back to 220 and let them ride. Spares take around 7 hours, babybacks....hell, I dunno cuz I have not cooked them in so long. They look like they are getting close after 5. I am thinkin 6 total....but I have not checked in the past hour. Let the ribs tell you when they are done. They should droop pretty good when you lift in the center, and a toothpick should easily slide in and out of the meat.[p]Just how I been doin them. You are right, a thousand ways....and the most common mistake is undercooking them.
    Good luck getting them tender. Lots of folks love the foil thing....you tried that?
    CHeers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy,
    I tried the foil thing and that didn't seem to help. Why do you put the secound grill on the grill extender? Why not just put the ribs on the grill extender. Another question is why do you hang the drip pan under the main grill. Won't it just fit under the grill extender? Which Dizzy rub is best on ribs, I know if is personal preference but what do you use? Last question and I will let you get back to those ribs where to you get T. Sugar. Out here in south riding the food loin only carries the basic stuff. Thanks again and I am enjoying the dizzy pig. Wife love the Ranging River Maple Salmon the best so far.

• PapaQ
    PapaQ Posts: 170
    Options
    DPRoyal2.jpg
    <p />Nature Boy,[p]Remember when it was a little warmer, when there was a little more on the line, and the only chores were BBQ related? Ribs is ribs though.[p]I'm raising one with thoughts of our walk through the "Dark Side".[p]Paul[p]
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    gdub16,
    Appreciate the kind words.[p]Why do you put the secound grill on the grill extender?
    I don't like those thin wide spaced wires, so I bought an extra grate. Actually I have sevral extra BGE grates for multi level setuos.[p]Another question is why do you hang the drip pan under the main grill. Won't it just fit under the grill extender?
    I like to have the drip pan as far away from the meat as possible to increase the airflow around my food.[p]Which Dizzy rub is best on ribs, I know if is personal preference but what do you use?
    Raging River, Dizzy Dist, Swamp Venom are all worth trying on ribs, IMO. Heard of others being used as well. Ribs are pretty flexible I think.[p]Last question and I will let you get back to those ribs where to you get T. Sugar.
    I have a wholesale suppler for the sugar in DC.[p]Out here in south riding the food loin only carries the basic stuff.
    I think it is worth it if you can find the sugar. SOmetimes health food stores have it. Sometimes it is labelled "sugar in the raw". The Food Lion here in Fairfax has it.[p]Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Options
    gdub16,[p]I know that your post was directed toward Nature Boy but I'll chime in a bit. He's a litle modest when it comes to talking about those rubs of his. :o)[p]Dizzy Dust (either regular or coarse)is my favorite for ribs. If someone around here likes a little heat, I'll mix in a little Jamaican Firewalk. It gives the ribs a nice "spicy sweet" taste that even my wife can eat. All his rubs are very tasty but those are my favorites for pork.[p]Turbinado sugar can also be found under the label "Sugar in the Raw". It comes in a brown box depicting a spilled bag of sugar. You should be able to find it in any chain grocery store. If not, check into a hispanic grocery. They should have it as well. [p]Happy smokin'[p]Mac
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    PapaQ,
    Yep, I remember! I can't believe the daze I was in on that dark side walk after the marathin cook. Cool shot, thanks for the memories!! [p]Hope you are well, man.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Nature Boy, Man, how do you decide which egg to open? I'm sitting here looking at your eggs and trees covered in snow, and its 70 and clear blue skies here in so cal, and I wish I was there. That is sure nice viewing!

• Nature Boy
    Options
    SnowFrontYard.jpg
    <p />tach18k,
    Choosing the egg to use is pretty easy. It's a "feel" thing. ;-)[p]Man, 70 degrees sounds good about now, but I wouldn't give this stuff up fer nuthin right now. It is one of my favoritest parts of the year. Campin' weather! It really is purty, and the kids are getting plenty of exercise![p]Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Smoked Signals
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Dem' is mighty fine ribs ... I do baby backs in comp. I gather that you do spares. [p]Do you mop your ribs during the cook?[p]Doug[p]
    ps - I did my first really good brisket over the weekend. I need to get a digital camera to show off.... hmmm maybe after I win something.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Smoked Signals,
    Yeah, always spares in comps for us. These baybacks were good, but I think we'll stick with spares. I think the extra fat helps or somethin. No, we don't mop. Qfan is always tempted to sprtiz them, but we even stopped doing that. [p]You can get a digital camera purty cheap these days. The Canon A-60 that Woo and I have can be snagged for a buck-fifty or so.
    Happy cookin!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Man thats nice, gotta love it!!