Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Wood dust?

SmokinJSmokinJ Posts: 220
edited 6:41PM in EggHead Forum
Hi all,

So I stopped at local saw mill today and got some saw dust for my cold smoker. Most of it is oak but he said there is some poplar and a little pine. I can see the poplar its bigger than the dust. Do you think this stuff is ok for smoking cheese. Maybe I should just test one block. I would appreciate some opinios.

Thanks
·

Comments

• i would not use it if there's any pine in it!.... rr
    ·
  • Ever suck on a pine twig? If you had, that would tell you right away.
    ·
  • I agree with everyone. Everything I have seen says stay away from pine :sick:
    ·
  • SmokinJSmokinJ Posts: 220
    Thanks. Thats what i figured. I was just thinking maybe if its 95% oak and 5% other it may not be to bad. I guess I'll just order through smokinlicious.
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    oh hell. try it and smell the smoke. if it smells good it'll taste good. cedar is a soft wood and salmon is smoked with it all the time. westphalia hams are smoked over juniper. no sense to run screaming from a handful of sawdust because it contains some pine.

if you throw it out without trying it, then yer just listening to the crowd. a crowd is rarely correct :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·