Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Wood dust?

SmokinJSmokinJ Posts: 220
edited 4:03AM in EggHead Forum
Hi all,

So I stopped at local saw mill today and got some saw dust for my cold smoker. Most of it is oak but he said there is some poplar and a little pine. I can see the poplar its bigger than the dust. Do you think this stuff is ok for smoking cheese. Maybe I should just test one block. I would appreciate some opinios.

Thanks

Comments

• i would not use it if there's any pine in it!.... rr
  • Ever suck on a pine twig? If you had, that would tell you right away.
  • I agree with everyone. Everything I have seen says stay away from pine :sick:
  • SmokinJSmokinJ Posts: 220
    Thanks. Thats what i figured. I was just thinking maybe if its 95% oak and 5% other it may not be to bad. I guess I'll just order through smokinlicious.
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    oh hell. try it and smell the smoke. if it smells good it'll taste good. cedar is a soft wood and salmon is smoked with it all the time. westphalia hams are smoked over juniper. no sense to run screaming from a handful of sawdust because it contains some pine.

if you throw it out without trying it, then yer just listening to the crowd. a crowd is rarely correct :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante