Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Pizza Dough Recipe

Eponda
Eponda Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finally tried a pizza dough recipe that I collected at the King Arthur site yesterday. It's a bit more work than the usual, but well worth the effort. The extra step really helps to develop the dough flavor. It baked up very crisp and brown. I froze half of the recipe to see if I can get the same results when thawed.
[ul][li]Brick Oven Pizza from KA[/ul]

Comments

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Eponda,
    Sounds great. I have some sauce leftover, so I'll try it.[p]Did you use the pizza dough flavor ingredient? I wonder what's in it. Sometimes I flavor dough with crushed rosemary or some basil pesto.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Gretl,[p]I've got a trial package of "pizza spices" from Paul Prudholm and I've been planning on putting it in the dough when I make it. I generally put a lot of italian seasoning in the dough when I make it now, adds a nice touch. Never though of pesto, sounds great as well. Would be interested to know what the pizza dough flavor stuff does from KA, may be another interesting ingredient to add. So many 'speriments, so little time.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    sprinter,
    just imagine how many 'speriments you'd have to do if it wasn't for the large quantity of 'speriment results that are shared here everyday?? What we learn here sure helps your ability to at least perform "educated 'speriments"!![p]Q on!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Eponda
    Gretl,No, just plain - with carmelized Vidalia onions, sauted red and yellow peppers, garlic, olives, fresh mozzarella added five minutes before done, and fresh parmasean curls after taking out of the Egg. I sure the KA flavoring is fine, their things usually are, but not needed on this one. My wife voted it one of the best ever. The Egg really does a nice job, as many have noted before me.

• Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    Eponda,[p]you'll find it even better flavored if you don't add the extra yeast to the dough. A little yeast grown slowly (in the poolish, which isn't really a starter, but rather a sponge) greatly improves the flavor. There should be plenty of yeast in the poolish to leaven the crust after growing all night.
  • Eponda
    Mary,Good point. I started this one at 7 in the morning for baking at 6 PM. Starting the night before would really get a nice ferment going.

• Peddler
    Peddler Posts: 37
    Eponda,[p]I've been making pizza for about 15 years and I prefer to freeze the dough before baking. To me it has a better texture and taste. Whenever I don't plan ahead and am forced to bake with a "fresh" dough it disappoints us. Many baking recipes do call for "cold proofing" prior to baking so it's not all that unusal. I also prefer a very basic dough recipe found in my original cook book called "Pizza" by James McNair. It only has flour, yeast, water, and salt. I use Sir Lancelot high-gluten flour from King Arthur's professional product line. I also bake at about 600 degrees...learned that from one of the most famous pizza joints in New Haven CT, Pepe's.

• Eponda
    Peddler,Thanks for the feedback. I was using KA Special flour which I believe has a 12.7% protein content. I have also used their "Italian" flour which has a lower protein content and seems to make shaping the dough easier with good results as well.