Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt timing question

Options
skihorn
skihorn Posts: 600
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is my first Butt. I put it on at 8:00 p.m. last night. Temp was holding steady at 230 when I went to bed at midnight, but it crept up to 300 (dome) when I got up at 6:30 but I got it back down to 230 surprisingly easy. It has now been on for 17 hours.

The internal temp has plateued in the 160's since before I awoke. It is currently 168. I want to be able to take it off the grill in the next three hours, so I have bumped the dome temp to 260. Should I go higher? If so, how high and at what point? UPDATE - I have bumped the dome to 290 and the internal is now 171.

Thanks in advance!

Freddie
League City, TX

Comments

• Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    I usually run the dome @ 250. If I'm pushing it I will I'll bump it to 275. 300 won't hurt it for a little while. Don't know how long it will take though.
  • PigSmoker916
    Options
    Hi Skihorn,
    While I have not bought a BGE yet, I have done a few butts in other rigs.

The typical recommendation is to allow 90 minutes per pound at about 240 - which seems to be close. Depending on the meat of course, your rig and your temperature, there are a lot of of variations to account for.

Most of the butts I've done run about 10 - 12 pounds, so in my case it has been taking 15 - 18 hours to reach the 190 - 195 internal temp which is perfect for pulling. That plateau where the temp doesn't increase for quite awhile is expected. I hear that is when the collagen begins to render.

I would resist the temptation to raise the temp too much. It doesn't do much good, and it can affect the final product's tenderness.

It's frustrating - especially if you have made plans for dinner and everyone is impatient, but give it time and the results will be well worth it...
  • skihorn
    Options
    Pigsmoker: Thanks for the advice. I am up to 181 now so there is hope.

Go ahead and purchase an Egg. You won't regret it!

Freddie
  • skihorn
    Options
    UPDATE: I am up to 191 with still over an hour until I "need" to pull it off the grill. So, I should be in good shape. The dome was at about 275. I have closed the vents down a little now.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Freddie,
    No need to drop your temp too much. You can dbl-wrap it in foil and put in a cooler, wrapped in towels, where it will stay very hot up to four hours. Lets you decide when to remove and pull it, depending on the dinner timing.
    Sounds like someone is close to experiencing a memorable meal! :woohoo:
  • skihorn
    Options
    Pulled it a few minutes ago at 198. Looks great!

The timing worked out just about right.

Freddie
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I have only cooked one butt as well and experienced a similar situation. Next time I plan a dome temp of 250.
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • skihorn
    Options
    Scot: That is probably a good idea. The recipe in the Egg manual says 230 but if you figure that is only probably 210 at the grill that takes an awfully long time to get to the 200 internal range.

By the way, it was great! Thanks so much for everyone's help, not only today but my two threads earlier in the week.

Freddie
    League City, TX