Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do I need a nest for my Mini?

Options
Jer_inva
Jer_inva Posts: 109
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Heading out tomorrow to purchase a mini to go along with my large BGE. I was wondering how stable the mini is without the nest. My plans are to just use it as is, but am wondering if it becomes top heavy and unstable when the dome is open.

Any advice/recommendations from current mini owners would be greatly appreciated. Thank You. Jer

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    My mini is normally in a metal wire table when it is at home. But when we travel with the mini we have a mini carrier my wife made. We put the mini on the bottom side of the carrier with a paver stone and it is very stable and works quite well.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I used my mini w/o nest for about 6 mo's till Chubby posted a way to use tape on the nest so not ceramic on metal. Now back in nest but never worried about w/o....
    photo-21.jpg
    Both ways works:
    photo-4-1.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    For about 1/2 the price of a mini nest, $18 from Target

miniincart.jpg
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    may i ask what the problem is with ceramic on metal? i've got mine in the nest and never knew there would be a concern.

thanks in advance.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Haha - it's more stable without the nest than with it!! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Here is mine. Recycled from work.

Minitable001.jpg
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Jason, Did you not see lowercasebill's post of how his lower half separated from the top of th mini?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • MusicMan78
    Options
    10.00 thrift store cabinet that I painted and put casters on

DSC00490.jpg
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Thought I had the link. Must be on my dear puter.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • deepsouth
    Options
    cookn biker wrote:
    Jason, Did you not see lowercasebill's post of how his lower half separated from the top of th mini?

oh snap. missed that. what kind of tape should i use?
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Oh snap is out Jason...geeze.. :laugh: :laugh: :P
    A reflective tape. Ask Mickey for the official name.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Mickey
    Options
    Molly that was the day (after seeing that picture)I pulled mine out of the nest.
    But Chubby came up with a very good fix.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• deepsouth
    Options
    cookn biker wrote:
    Oh snap is out Jason...geeze.. :laugh: :laugh: :P
    A reflective tape. Ask Mickey for the official name.

you know we are 35 years behind the times here in mississippi!
  • cookn biker
    Options
    I only know becasue I have a 20 y/o. :whistle:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Mickey
    Options
    Jason, Chubby only buys very high doller tape. Send me your address and will send you some.
    You do not want to buy a roll for that.

• deepsouth
    Options
    Mickey wrote:
    Jason, Chubby only buys very high doller tape. Send me your address and will send you some.
    You do not want to buy a roll for that.

email sent!
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    I have my mini on a table on the porch, but purchased the nest (base) for portability. I take it with me to outings, not for use at home.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Here ya go, Jason... scary!! Yet mine is still in the nest. :)

mini002-1.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Wazoo
    Wazoo Posts: 150
    Options
    Stand is about $25 at Home Depot. Been using it for over a year w/o any rust or problems. Keep it covered with a $10 generic grill cover from HD. Keeps the utensils dry as well. I'm happy with it.

101_0053.jpg
  • Bulldog Mom
    Options
    You really don't need the nest, I just use the little feet under mine.