Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

tinfoil coated bricks or heavy CI skillet

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In days of old (before BGE) I would put tinfoil coated bricks or heavy CI skillet on top of chicken to grill.
I believe this was to make it cook faster and more evenly or just sounded cool.
I do not remember seeing this on the forum.
Any thoughts (of course there will be thoughts as the is the forum)?
Would it help in any way on the egg?
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    That technique is attributed to Tuscany.
    Here is a recipe from the LA times using this technique.
    Tuscan grilled chicken

Total time: 40 minutes, plus marinating time

» Don't miss a thing. Get breaking news alerts delivered to your inbox.

Servings: 4 to 6

2 cloves garlic

1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon fennel seed

1/4 cup olive oil

1 (4- to 4 1/2 -pound) chicken

Oil for brushing

1. With a mortar and pestle or in a blender, grind the garlic, rosemary, salt and fennel seed.
    Continue grinding while adding the olive oil to make a coarse paste.

2. Using a pair of poultry shears or a chef's knife, cut the chicken alongside the backbone, all the way from neck to stern.
    Repeat on the other side of the backbone, removing it from the carcass.

3. Place the chicken skin-side up on the cutting board, opened out like a book.
    Firmly press down on the center of the breast to crack the sternum and flatten the chicken.
    Place the chicken in a resealable plastic bag and spoon in the herb mixture.
    Press out all the air, seal tightly and massage to distribute the marinade evenly.
    Refrigerate overnight or leave at room temperature for 1 hour.

4. Wrap a 1-foot-square paving stone in aluminum foil.
    Start the coals in a chimney and when they are lightly coated with gray ash, about 20 minutes, empty them into the grill, arranging them in a gentle slope against one side.
    Replace the grill rack and brush it with oil.

5. Place the chicken skin-side down on the grill rack, away from the direct heat but with the drumsticks pointing toward the fire.
    Brush one side of the foil-covered brick with oil and place the brick on top of the chicken.

6. Grill until the skin is well-browned, about 20 minutes.
    Remove the brick and turn the chicken over, placing it skin-side up directly over the fire.
    Cook until the juices at the hip and knee joints run clear when pierced with a knife, about 5 minutes.
    Remove to a carving board and let rest 5 minutes to distribute the juices evenly before carving. Serve immediately.

Each serving: 389 calories; 42 grams protein; 0 carbohydrate; 0 fiber; 23 grams fat; 6 grams saturated fat; 168 mg. cholesterol; 171 mg. sodium.

Copyright © 2010, The Los Angeles Times
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    I remember reading somehting about that but I have my Chicken Press to fall back on.

ChickenPress.jpg

Haven't used it yet, but it's kinda cute.

Spring "Pressed Into Non-Action" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Mickey,

The technique is a Tuscan Italian method called pollo al mattone which means chicken under a brick. I have done it many times in the oven in a cast iron pan but never on a grill. The weight on the top of the chicken is the important bit. I think european bricks must be bigger than ours cause any time I have seen a picture of them the brick covers the bird.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    works fine
    this is duck from a couple years ago

Xduck_pressed.jpg

Xduck_searing.jpg
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    While that duck looks deelicious...it could use some scoring... ;):) :laugh:
  • stike
    Options
    it was scored, but that was to allow the fat to render. ;)

just cuz you score it when cooking doesn't mean it always needs to be scored :whistle:
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I am still learning Jedi master.... :lol: :silly: :woohoo:
  • Mickey
    Options
    But is it something that if used in an egg would be a benenfit?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• stike
    Options
    that was in the egg.

benefit? the benefit of a brick is to increase contact area of the skin with the skillet. that's a benefit independent of the egg. good no matter where it happens :)

the egg adds a little smokiness just by virtue of the wood fire. the only reason i did it in the egg was because i wanted the smokiness. brick doesn't do any more or less in the egg, as compared to stove top, or oven.
  • Mickey
    Options
    Stike thanks.

• Smokin' Stogies
    Options
    We call it brick chick in Pa. and I have done it many times. Usually with a Spatchcocked Chicken and I use a HDAF wrapped fire brick that I left in the BGE to heat up with the charcoal. Works great, cooks fast and stays juicier than the normal greatness of the GBE. Make sure you flip the bird, the chicken that is!

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!