Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick -- what's the point of foiling the ribs?

Options
Prof Dan
Prof Dan Posts: 339
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got four big slabs of ribs smoking away nicely, and I'm doing my usual 3/1/1 technique, with the first "1" being an hour at 250 in foil. The rest of the time, both before and after, is indirect at 250, except for the last few minutes, which are direct.[p]I've always done it this way, because several people (whose opinion I respect) have said that it's the best. But I never thought to ask: what's the point of the "foil interlude"?[p]Is it to make the ribs more moist, because they steam in their own juices? But if that's it, then how come they don't dry out during the rest of the time, when they aren't covered?[p]Is it to make the fat drip off, because the foil intensifies the heat? But you'd think that since the temperature both before and after the foil is still 250, the fat would drip off anyway. The foil doesn't increase the heat, since the heat passes right through the foil.[p]Being a basically lazy person, I'm hoping to skip the foil step, but I don't have the guts to mess with a tried-and-true recipe.[p]Your collective wisdom, as always, is greatly appreciated!

Comments