Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venison Roast on the EGG?

frankie482
frankie482 Posts: 263
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need a recipe for Venison Roast.

I would like to do it shredded like pulled pork, but I have been reading it might be better to braise it to achieve that texture without drying out.

The owner of my company knows I cook, so he gave me two roasts and asked me to "Cook 'em up for the guys".

No pressure there!! :unsure:

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Not sure the pulled pork idea will work as there is hardly any fat to allow the roast to fall apart. Here is how I like to do them.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=650437&catid=1
  • I don't think you can make a "pulled" product out of venison like you can pork. I have found that you either cook it long and slow and covered in a dutch oven with a good red wine and herbs (basil, oregano, marjoram, and parsley) and of course onions and garlic. Cook it for several hours. From there you can "pull" it or continue on and make it into stew with the addition of carrots and potatoes.
    The other option I see is to coat it with olive oil and cover it with a rub and grill it quickly so the center is rare. Don't overcook it or it will be tough and chewy. This method is usually used for the loins though, and not the roasts.
    I'm making the long and slow method today and adding mushrooms and serving it over a wild rice mixture. A great grass fed, free range meat.

Phil
  • I agree with Richard about the leanness. If you really want to go that route, this pulled pork tenderloin may give you some good ideas.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=875466&catid=1
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Just out of curiosity, what part of the deer are these roasts?
  • nuynai
    nuynai Posts: 101
    I'd slow cook it to internal temp of 165, let it cool and slice it for sandwiches. Venison is easy to overcook and dry out. Don't think it'll work like pulled pork.
    Also, may want to brine it, wrap it in bacon for flavor and moisture.
    Good luck.
  • i completely agree.... i have been cooking deer roast like that for many years.... if you grill it you'll need a chain saw to cut it.... rr
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Not sure what roast you've got, but I have done the sirloin tip low-n-slow until it hit an internal of 125. I foiled it and think I tossed it into a beer cooler for a few hours at least. Sliced it up for some sandwiches and was BLOWN away by the perfect redness throughout and the tenderness was second to none. Even the $14 a pound Black Angus Roast Beef deli meat can't hold a candle to it. Nobody could believe it was venison. I know that's not what your after, just thought you may want to know.

Good luck
  • Ripnem
    rr,

that's only if you cook it too far. ;)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    165? Might be a tad styrofoamish in texture if you go that high.
  • Ripnem
    my heart would stop if I saw a thermometer reading 165 :pinch:
  • nuynai
    nuynai Posts: 101
    Sorry, but you're dealing with wild game, not store bought, antibiotic injected, steroid feed meat. I'd rather be safe then sorry, due to parasites, etc.
  • I would be worried that venison is too lean to do as pulled pork. It's the fat that enables it to be so tender and pull apart
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    What parasites. etc. are you worried about that will be rendered safe at 165* that wouldn't also be rendered safe at 140*?

I would debate all day long that wild game that has never seen an antibiotic or a steroid is inherently safer than the store bought stuff, not more dangerous. Especially if I harvested the animal myself - which I do quite frequently. I would state with reasonable certainty that 30-40% of the meat I consume was alive when it first crossed my path. I never cook venison to over 140 unless it is ground or I am making jerky.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    even then you're talking 138 for the parasite you are concerned with, which i am sure you can name, otherwise you'd just be guessing, and guessing is never good ;)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Ripnem
    I spend 4-5 months a year gathering wild game. For the exact reasons you have listed as 'missing' additives. I'm not feeding my family steriods or antibiotics nearly as often as most. Which is a good thing.

I'm confused by the parasites thing though. :S I've seen fish with worms, just didn't eat them. ;)
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    I pull mine at 125-135, and it's outstanding. I cannot imagine how dry it would be at 165. I'm more concerned with how the animal was handled after the kill than I am about parasites. Since I butcher my own, I know everything is all good. CWD is a different discussion, but so far it hasn't been detected in my neck of the woods.
  • Thanks for all the info, and I'm glad I could find something for everyone to talk about.

It has been a long day though.

My wife has been sick for the last two weeks and after two visits to the doctor and four different prescriptions, I finally took her the emergency room.

That was 3 am this morning.

She has a slight case of pneumonia.

Hopefully all the new meds will help.