Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meatloaf Assist

jzcc
jzcc Posts: 123
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We're hungry for meatloaf, but not sure how to cook it. I plan to make it in a regular sized Teflon loaf pan. I know you're supposed to cook to temp, not time. In the oven, I would normally cook it at 350 for an hour. I'm assuming that rule doesn't apply to the Egg. So, my questions are:

Direct or indirect?
If indirect -- legs up or down?
Cook at what dome temp?
About how long should I allow for the cook?
At what temp do I pull?

I apologize for asking such a dumb question, but I couldn't find the answers in the Search feature (which I might add is invaluable).

Jeri

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Indirect,just like the oven,after about 30 mins turn it out over a drip pan.That lets the fat and grease drip away.Pull it at no more than 165 I.T. :)
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Treat your egg just like your oven. I do my meatloaf indirect, legs up with a grid on top and then your meatloaf. 350% for an hour sounds good. That's what I do. However, I use my loaf pan as a mold. I use Pam on the inside of the pan, press in the meat and then invert it on a cookie sheet, or something close, then tap on the loaf pan. It should lift right off leaving you with a perfectly formed meatloaf. I think it cooks better out of the pan. Meatloaf is great on the egg!
  • jzcc
    Thanks for the quick response! Two more quick questions: If I turn it out after 30 min, does the loaf get dry? (hate dry meatloaf) Also, should I wait to sauce the top until after I turn it out over a drip pan?
  • jzcc
    Thank you, too, for such a quick response! Same two questions for you that I just posed to Hoss regarding dryness and saucing.

Also, I was in Elliott's yesterday picking up some Dizzy Pig and learned that you might be doing a cook there Saturday, weather depending. Right now, there's a 10% chance of rain. What would be your deciding factor? We'd love to stop by and meet you!

Jeri
  • hornhonk
    First off,your meatloaf won't be dry. As to Saturday, I talked to Alec at Elliotts today and we decided to put the demo off a week due to the fact of Red Green making an appearance that day. My wife and I will be there to meet him. Are you aware of the Red Green Show on channel 13?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    All this time I thought you were Red Green :ohmy: :whistle:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    I cook mine direct raised grid turned out on a grill pan with holes. Makes one heck of a mess with the pan, but the flavor of the sizzling juices enhances the grilling experience and flavor, imho.

Here's my recipe, modified from several posted here and elsewhere. Never turns out dry.

2 lbs. ground beef (80/20) or 1.5 lbs gr. beef and 1/2 lb. ground pork
    1 egg
    1 cup bread crumbs
    1 diced onion (about 1 cup)
    1 diced green pepper
    1 large carrot shredded extremely fine
    1 can tomatoes and green chiles, drained well
    1 cup finely shredded cheddar or any other cheese you have on hand
    1 Tablespoon favorite rub (I prefer DP Raisin' the Steaks)
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
    1 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)

Form in loaf pan, but cook it on a rack

glaze:
    1/4 cup ketchup
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    mix and spread on top last 15-20 minutes

Cook on raised grid at 350 till internal temp is 160-165

The carrot is a trick from Alton Brown. Helps keep it moist.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Here is the way I like to do them. Recently I started to line a meatloaf pan with woven bacon and then the mixture. Take out of pan and cook like the regular way I have done.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=703221&catid=1

Out of pan with bacon basket weave.

READYDSCN0708-1.jpg

Cooked indirect 350F an hour or so. I pull them at 150F.

DONEDSCN0709-1.jpg
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Bacon is good..........
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I did one last night. raised direct about 350 untill done 165. I dont put mine in a pan either.
  • jzcc
    No, I haven't heard of the Red Green Show. I googled him and it sounds hilarious! When you set a new date for your demo, let me know and maybe we can stop by.
  • jzcc
    Richard, that sounds yummy! Will put it on my "to do" list. Thanks for sharing.
  • jzcc
    We're not set up for a raised direct cook yet. So we'll just have to muddle through with what we have at the moment. I will say that y'all may have just convinced me to try it without a pan.

Thanks so much to all for your tips!

jz
  • hornhonk
    The next demo should be Feb.26.
  • jzcc
    Great! Will put it on the calendar. What time?
  • hornhonk
    Oh, the food usually starts coming off the egg 11-ish. :)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    no need for a pan....

for the most part, your egg can be considered your oven. 350 is 350 (when indirect).

but you should still take the internal temp, as much to make sure you don't overcook it as to make sure it is not undercooked.

shoot for 165
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    the only (only) reason meat is ever dry is because it is overcooked.

160 maximum internal. i'd probably go to 150 and it will hit 160 while resting. but you can get away with going a little higher in th egg
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    heres one made just for sandwiches, if im going for a meal ill put it in a pan once its half cooked and add some chef cut stewed tomatoes and finish cooking it. i dont think it matters much direct or indierect, i raise the grill for a direct cook. some freezer time helps to set it up so a crust will start to form when cooking and help hold it together

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=712411
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jzcc
    Thanks, that makes sense. Armed with our first Therapen,we should be in business!
  • jzcc
    Good to know! Thanks much.
  • jzcc
    Thanks for the clarification as this will be our first "bake" on the egg.
  • jzcc
    Mmmmm, the addition of jalapenos sounds great! Will have to try that. Are those red bell peppers? I love the green ones, but they give me indigestion, so I usually stick to yellow, orange or red ones.

Thanks! Once again, I have to say what a great resource this forum is as well as the search feature! What a great group of folks to share!