Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knife Sharpening Angle

Options
RedBag
RedBag Posts: 72
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I purchased the Edge Pro Apex a few months back. I sharpened my Henckles Pro “S” chef’s knife with it. I used the double angle they recommend in the DVD which escapes me at the moment but it seems like it was 24 and 18 degrees. Anyway my knife did not seem to hold its edge as long as it did in the past when I sent them out to be sharpened. I was just curious what angle everyone is sharpening their knifs at, in particular Chefs knives.

Comments

• Slotmercenary
    Options
    Greetings,
    I sharpen my knives to 14 degrees. That is just my favorite working edge. What are you using for a cutting board? have you changed it recently? I have to cringe when I see glass cutting boards in peoples kitchen...
    Good luck

When you sent your knives out before were they "hollow ground?"
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    The sharper your angle, the shorter the duration. Are you using a steel to hone the edge between uses?

I use 17* on my Japanese chef's knives, 13* on my boning knife, and 24* on the santoku (german steel) and paring knife.

You shouldn't actually sharpen your knives more than a couple times a year. Most of the times running it across a steel a few times will straighten the edge and realign the micro serrations along the blade.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Well, I am an EdgePro user... First off, did you do the magic marker test on your favorite blades before doing any sharpening? Usually you can go from there as far as selecting another angle or sticking with what you are used to using.

To answer your question, I use 13° on my scary sharp "show-off" knives or thin blade on a small pocket carry knife. I like 17° on my general kitchen ones like paring, small slicers and long fillet knife which doubles as my brisket slicer. 19° works best for my chef knives and my cleaver. I like 23° on my small fillet knives as they get abused a bit.

I'll bet your concerns about holding the edge on the double bevel might be in your technique, just not taking enough time to get it right. Ben at EdgePro is a real nice guy and will visit with you about any of your questions.

One thing I've used for years is a strop, and you can make one from an old belt but I prefer the benchtop ones, which you can also make. Mike sells some really nice ones, complete and also in kit form. they really put a nice good night kiss on your blade.

http://www.sharpshopusa.com/
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    most of the european chef knives henkels, whustoff etc come from the factory with a 22.5 double bevel .. [45 total angle] which is approriate for the hardness of the steel. decrease the angle and the edge will roll .. these companies are comming out with japanese style knives that have a harder rockwell hardness and will take a more acute angle. you may be making a wire edge as well. please read chad wards article referenced by Richard and stropping is surely a good thing,
    chad ward has a book and a blog that are worth the effort

http://www.chadwrites.com/
  • RedBag
    Options
    Same old boards...one bamboo and one plastic...no glass
  • RedBag
    Options
    I steel on every use. When I bought the knifes 10 years ago they went 6 years before I ever had to sharpen them. After then I had the sharpened about once a year so maybe 4 times. Each time they had to be done a little quicker. Do knifes wear out?
  • RedBag
    Options
    Thanks. Read it before I bought the Edge Pro.
  • RedBag
    Options
    Thanks. I read that when someone posted on a previous knife discussion. Good stuff for sure.
  • RedBag
    Options
    I think you are probably right about my technique. Just wanted to check what others were using for and angle
  • Hiites
    Hiites Posts: 26
    Options
    I use a Tormek and I sharpen my Henkels Chef's knife to 18* on each side and my Shun to 16*. The Shun has harder steel and can take the thinner edge. Use a good steel between sharpenings but don't use a "sharpening steel". You only want to use a steel that straightens the edge, not removes any metal. How often you sharpen depends on how much abuse the edge gets, i.e. does it get dinged up in a drawer with other knives or utensils, does it get used on unsuitable cutting boards, does it get thrown in the sink while waiting to be washed, does it cut citrus fruits and then left with the citric acid on the edge before washing? I'm not familiar with the edgepro system honing after sharpening is a must, IMHO.
  • FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    Options
    Right about 12 degrees on my "Aogami Super" steel gyuto.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    When you got them with a factory edge they probably had a double bevel. The edge is somewhat flatter and wider, which helps the relatively soft metal hold its edge longer

When you get them sharpened, they hand them to a guy on a belt or wheel who likely did them in one shot at a more acute angle. Without the double bevel, and at a sharper angle, they will dull more quickly even when you steel them
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I just buy new knives when the steel doesn't work anymore

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    Options
    See? Pot of gold
    i knew it

"they're after me lucky charms"
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I'm not Irish! I am an average height Scot :angry:

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    i sharpen the blades around 20 degrees on a wet stone, but the final one or two passes i lift the blade at a steeper angle, it stightly dulls it but the bade stays sharp longer. how long have you had the bamboo board, could be a factor on why the edge isnt holding up, bamboo is too hard on a knife. my sharpest japanese blades i lay flat for sharpening, but the are an extremely hard steel
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RedBag
    Options
    Bamboo is hard on a knife? I figured basically just being really hard grass it would be fine. Now that you mention it had it about a year now.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    its really hard, especially if its edge grained, maple is also hard but a really good board will be end grained, ive seen a couple bamboo end grained boards but for the most part they are always edge grained. end grained boards make a huge difference.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    Options
    Scotland. Ireland. same thing

( :laugh: )
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Love to see you say that in Glascow or Belfast

Steve