Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked fire ring. Should I worry?

Options
bamarob
bamarob Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got the egg up to about 650 to sear some steaks last night and I noticed the ring was cracked all the way through. I have had the egg that hot several times before so it should of been able to take it. Should I get a new one or just keep cooking?

Comments

• BullyQue
    Options
    They will get you a new one under warranty. You can also jb weld it while you are waiting.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    this is what mine looks like when i clean out all the ash

DSC_0174.jpg

and back together :laugh: been like this for several years now

DSC_0175.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    get your warranty replacement fire ring, and put it on a shelf while you continue to cook with the cracked one.

my current LBGE guts, still working fine
    stke_warranty_items.jpg
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • So Cal EGGhead
    Options
    These pictures are too funny. I thought I had a bad EGG, until I saw your pictures guys.

It is all ocvered under warranty, as long as you are the original owner. I replace these things all of the time for customers. You are required to pay for the shipping, unless the dealer is kind enough to add it to another order that they are paying shipping for.

I have had a cracked fire box for about three years now and have yet to replace it. Like the other gentlemen said, it will still function if needed.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    i still have my first one that broke several years back for backup incase my newer one completely goes :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Buckethead
    Options
    My ex dealer made me bring my old one in before he would replace even when I emailed pictures. Notice the reference to "ex".
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Man those 1000* + cooks take their toll don't they? :ohmy:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    well... i believe that stems from them wanting proof that it's busted. i dealt with the distributor for my replacement firebox, and a pic was good enough for them.

i don't know if turning in the broken one is a HQ requirement, but i think it isn't entirely unreasonable, if maybe a little overjkill. i just think they might be convinced to let you have it back. it would actually cut down on replacement, because you could use it til it was pulverized while knowing you had a brand new back-up. if they take it though, and the new one cracks (which it will), they risk replacing that under warranty much sooner
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • smoky b
    smoky b Posts: 648
    Options
    haha! that's ridiculous!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Just keep cooking. Not a big deal.

Mine broke in two a long time ago. It's fine. It's easier to remove as one-piece, but that's all.

Shipping can be a bit pricey, so I wouldn't go replacing it unless you don't have to pay shipping. As was previously mentioned, the new one will crack/break too. just a matter of time.

My problem is my platesetter. a leg broke, I fixed it with JB Weld but that has temperature limitations so the first pizza I cooked undid my repair completely.
  • asianflava
    Options
    stike wrote:
    get your warranty replacement fire ring, and put it on a shelf while you continue to cook with the cracked one.

my current LBGE guts, still working fine
    stke_warranty_items.jpg

Wow! just get the lid and the base replaced, and you'll have a brand new egg!
  • So Cal EGGhead
    Options
    Ha Ha, I would have never done that to you!