Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sandbagger, this is for you....

Options
Dr_Redwine
Dr_Redwine Posts: 189
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I saw your te-killya, err -- tequila episode with the Tri-tip. Try this 'un from Rick Bayless of Frontera Kitchens. I have never heard anyone say anything but 'these are awesome' when when have folks over and serve them these....hope you try them. [p]Grilled Steak and Onion Rajas

1 ½ LB whole Flank Steak or Skirt Steak
2 Large Onions
4-5 cloves garlic (peeled)
4 Poblano Peppers
Olive Oil
2-3 Fresh Limes
Monterrey Jack Cheese
Salt
½ teaspoon ground Cumin
warm Corn tortillas
Preparation:
At least 1 hour ahead, cut up ½ of 1 of the onions in coarse chunks. Place the onion in a food processor with the garlic and the juice of 2 limes. Add the cumin, 1 teaspoon of salt and process the mixture until a paste is formed. Smear the puree onto the steak, place in a large plastic “Zip-Lok” and refrigerate for at least an hour, but no longer than 8 hours. Slice the remaining onion into ½ inch thick rings for grilling.
On the Egg:
Get a hot fire going (400 or so)and coat the onions with a small amount of olive oil. Remove the marinade from the steak and coat the steak with olive oil as well. Place the onions, steak, and peppers (whole) onto the grill. Try to put the onions on a cooler spot on the grill than the rest or you’ll have to turn them frequently. Turn the peppers frequently until charred so that the skin can be peeled. Try not to burn the flesh of the pepper. [p]You may have to turn the steak more than once to keep from charring too much, but cook to your liking. What you're after is cooking it without the outside being too dry.

Once everything is done, let the steak rest for about 5 minutes prior to slicing. Make three slices with the grain dividing the large steak into three strips. Now make ¼-inch slices going across the grain of each strip. Place in a bowl and add about ½ teaspoon or so of salt or to taste. Peel and seed the peppers, and cut them into ¼ inch strips. Place peppers and onions into a bowl, add about ½ teaspoon of salt or so and mix.
Now its like Fajitas…Make your own with a warm corn tortilla, steak, grilled onions, peppers, grated cheese and squeeze of fresh lime juice. Guacamole goes well with this, too. [p]DrR

Comments

• Sandbagger
    Options
    Dr_Redwine, thanks, I'll give it a shot in a couple weeks. Fajitas are really not on the top of my list right now. I must admit, it is a little embarrasing living in Texas and bombing on fajitas.

• Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Options
    Dr_Redwine,[p]What actually does a poblano pepper look like? The grocers around here stock many peppers but they never label them. The last time I asked the produce guy which were which, he had no idea. Frustrating...[p]Recipe looks great. I'd like to try it.
    Mac

• Jose'
    Jose' Posts: 48
    Options
    Mac in NC ,
    They look like a big, elongated bell pepper and are a very dark green.

• Dr_Redwine
    Options
    Mac in NC ,
    Jose' has you covered on what they look like. Sometimes if they are scarce or the ones the grocer has stocked look bad, we will use New Mexico or Anehiem (sp?) peppers. (The longer, lighter green ones that look like a cow horn. Poblanos are a little warm, but not too hot.
    DrR

• HolySmokes
    Options
    Mac in NC ,[p]The Poblano is the fresh pod and looks like [p]poblano.jpg[p]The dried version is the Ancho[p]anchos.jpg[p]mild heat, very flavorful.
    There you go!
    HS

• Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Options
    Mac in NC ,[p]Thanks for the insight (Jose) as well as the pics (Holysmokes). I'll try your recipe (Dr. Redwine) this week. [p]Have a great weekend,[p]Mac