Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket timing question

Options
Shelby
Shelby Posts: 803
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Usually, I do a whole brisket but someone recently gave me a 6.5 pound flat. Wondering about the cooking time on this? Since it doesn't have the fat cap, I'm thinking a few hours, not an overnighter. Any thoughts?[p]Thanks!

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Shelby:[p]Pastrami? Brine it this week, smoke it next week . . .

[ul][li]Pastrami[/ul]
  • tmEGGer
    tmEGGer Posts: 92
    Options
    djm5x9,
    Recipe looks great. What is cure #1?

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    djm5x9,
    No can do...promised it to someone and he's looking forward to brisket.[p]Time suggestion???

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Shelby,
    i do small flats all the time. ..you can certainly do it like you normally would. ..just plan on about 2 hours per pound. ..even trimmed, there should be enough fat to keep it moist. . .or you could try the quicky method. . .[p]night before, coat it heavily with sugar (white or torbinado) and wrap tightly. ...prior to putting in egg, coat with more sugar and rub of choice. ..smoke at 250 for 2 hours. ..then double wrap tightly in aluminum foil, and put back in the egg at 350 degrees for about 3 more hours. . .pull it, wrap in towel for another hour or so. ...careful opening the aluminum foil, you will have some fantastic juice to serve with the finished brisket. . .

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    brisket179.jpg
    <p />Shelby,
    I try and keep my cooking level temps at 215 for the small guys, and 4-6 pounders take about 10 hours to give up. This 4 pounder was ready after 10 hours, and was tender at 179 internal.[p]You could do it a little faster, but more heat tends to dry those little puppies up. [p]Have fun!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ