Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini question

Options
Austin Egger
Austin Egger Posts: 256
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do all of the mini's have a 9" diameter cooking area? I thought I heard some of the newer mini's had a 10" cooking area, but on the BGE webpage it looks like they are still 9". Also, I have seen some with the spring assisted hinges and obviously the older ones don't have that. Are the spring assisted hinges standard on the newer ones or only upgrades that some people have done? Can I get clarification? Thank you very much! :huh:

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I have a 10" but got the old henge. I got my new hinge from BGE and installed.
    Some old stock have the older, the new stock has newer.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    I got my mini in sept. I has the new hinge and a 10" cooking surface.
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • BigDaddy65
    Options
    I got a mini for Christmas and it had the old hinge and grid. An email to BGE customer service and a couple of pics later they sent me the updated parts.
  • Austin Egger
    Options
    So do all Mini's actually have a 10" diameter cooking area or was there a specific time that they changed the design?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    they used to be 9". with the old hinge. no idea when that changed, but I think the 10" grid came first, then the new hinge. they tend to sell off what's on hand.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    When I ordered my mini Woo the Ceramic Grill store told me I need the 10" grid. The mother ship sent me the newer larger grid and I only paid shipping. Later they sent me the new hinge assembly, again for the cost of shipping. BGE Rocks.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Michael correct. I got the new 10" with old hinge.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• mrdnks
    mrdnks Posts: 67
    Options
    The Mini is not a large seller and some places may have older ones in stock for years, I called around and had to get one from 50 miles away. Mine had both the old and new style hinges in the box. Not sure if the new one is any better or not. I think its flimsy but it works.