Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Every so often....

Options
Chubby
Chubby Posts: 2,955
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I forgo the conveinence of my "usual" morning drip...and set the grinder for a pot or two of French Press enjoyment!!

a08df877.jpg

I like the boiling...the grinding...the stiring...the plunging...and finally.., the drinking!!

I should do this more often!!

Hope your day started as good as mine!!

Evans
I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!

Comments

• aem
    aem Posts: 146
    Options
    Yeah, French press is a special treat. A few years ago I did a canoe trip in Canada. 5 days in the middle of nowhere. My one luxury was a french press that fit in a nalgene bottle. My favorite memories are waking early and enjoying a cup of really strong coffee in absolute silence.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You obviously have much more time in the mornings than I.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i hate to do the math, but i honestly drink about half a pot of french press (six scoops to a pot) every couple hours. coffee is my drug of choice. and scotch :laugh:

i think i 'worked' about 100 hours this week...
    no end in sight til maybe easter. i gotta be happy, but i am dragging. and franch press is what keeps me going.

also makes my heart flutter every now and then too. :laugh:

whats a little fibrillation among friends?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    No I'm just a drip but, I'm OK with that. :blush:
  • Chubby
    Options
    Jeff..,

I had the camera on the counter and thought I'd capture the moment.

I was thinkinbg of who would see and appreciate this moment, and I do not lie when I say.."Stike will appreciate not only the coffee...but my cup selection"!!

:)

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I can look at strong coffee and start bouncing off the walls. Truthfully, I can't handle all that caffeine. More power to you. ;)
  • BigBadger
    Options
    Yes... coffee done "right" is a treat... and a privilege if you are going to spend the extra time and effort to store, grind and brew for the black elixir. You know you have a problem somewhere between drinking gallons of Gas-station hooch and flying your beans in green and roasting them up in your popcorn popper. :woohoo: :woohoo:

Surprised no-one has made a BGE coffee roasting apparatus.
  • stike
    Options
    who said i can handle it?

i was sleep deprived and on my tenth cup when i replied to deepsouth the other day, and that didn't go very well :ermm:

hahaha

in college, i remember one time feeling my heart LITERALLY flutter like there was a bird in my chest. scared the bajeezus out of me.... i have never worked anything like i did during my thesis. that scared me.

now, i only drink the equivalent of ten cups of coffee a day hahahaha

(oy)
  • stike
    Options
    you a fan of the architect in general, or the miami hotels?

great stuff
  • Chubby
    Options
    Kinda both!!

B)
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    I use that pinching fluttery skipping feeling as my gauge to tell me when I'm done with coffee for the day :woohoo:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I've never had much luck with my French press. It's around here somewhere, but I haven't used it in years. I do like my Aeropress though. One cup at a time. I generally have a cup in hand from about 6AM til maybe 3PM. :blush:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stike
    Options
    i thought that meant the caffeine was wearing off and it was time for more? :laugh:
  • Chubby
    Options
    Now that's funny...I don't care who said it!!!

:woohoo:
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Evans, I just got a lovely French press coffee maker for my birthday. My friend just knew I needed a backup for making coffee in the event of another power failure. :)

Judy Mayberry kindly sent me her anal retentive instructions for brewing coffee in the French press, I'll email you a copy.
  • smoky b
    smoky b Posts: 648
    Options
    here is my new toy. all hail the king of drip coffeemakers!

Technivorm2.png
  • Ricklesss
    Options
    Carolina Q wrote:
    I've never had much luck with my French press. It's around here somewhere, but I haven't used it in years. I do like my Aeropress though. One cup at a time. I generally have a cup in hand from about 6AM til maybe 3PM. :blush:

Carolina Q,
    Hope you don't mind...
    Just went back to using my Aeropress after a couple years of disuse, not sure if I like it or not...
    How many scoops do you like best and how much water?
    I've been finding my method of 2 scoops, and filled to #2 make's it "too" clean/weak.
    But it shouldn't, as that's a lot of coffee...) :(
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    I'm with you. I grind and press every morning.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I think you're asking the wrong guy. :) All I want is a regular cup of coffee. I use one rounded scoop, fill the tube halfway or more with water, press, then top off the cup with whatever it takes to fill it.

Pretty sure I've never set foot in a Starbucks or similar. Wouldn't have a clue what to order anyway. Can you even buy a cup of coffee there? :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• field hand
    Options
    We enjoy our coffee and drink two pots most every morning, nothing very exciting, normally Folgers. We do enjoy a cup of press in the evenings but have to be careful of too much caffine at that time of day. As for Starbucks, way to much for me.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    hey man since i got you attention!!!!

i made your breakfast things a couple times and i am pretty happywith the results maybe one day i will take pictures :whistle:

thanks pal

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Judy Mayberry
    Options
    smoky b wrote:
    here is my new toy. all hail the king of drip coffeemakers!

Technivorm2.png

Graham!!!! That is my coffeemaker too! Except I got the cylindrical shape instead. I've got the brew down to a science now and rotate it with a couple of other brewing methods, like French press and latte. Isn't it great?
    Judy in San Diego
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Rebecca, you crack me up. :silly:

They are only anal if you are determined to brew the same cup of coffee every time.

If you like hit-or-miss, be casual!

I'm determined...used the French press this morning and still feeling the "glow." What a great three cups of coffee!
    Judy in San Diego
  • Chubby
    Options
    Sounds like you have great friends!!!

B)
  • smoky b
    smoky b Posts: 648
    Options
    Isn't it great?? I have fallen in love with it. Seriously in love. I don't have a burr grinder so I get a couple of different local roasters to grind a little at a time for me. If there were a TV forum I would be on it too! My 4 yr old asks me every morning if it's moccamaster time!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    French press makes coffee different from anything else out there. I still use mine from time to time, but when I'm lazy I just push a button.

jura-capresso-e8-pb.jpg
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    You have a drive-thru window with that? :ohmy:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    no, but now I'm fighting the urge to go brew up a latte
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options