Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Recipe for Grilled Portabellas

Options
Mark
Mark Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
portabellas.jpg
<p />Came up with a "from scratch" recipe that is even better than the one I did at the Eggfest![p]Grilled Chipotle Brandy Marinated Portobellas[p]20 Portabella Mushroom Caps
1 cup olive oil
1/2 cup wine vinegar
2 oz cotija cheese, grated (substitute Romano)
1 clove fresh garlic
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp ground oregano
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 14 oz can of chipotles in adobo sauce*
1/3 cup brandy
salt to taste [p]Remove stems from portabellas [p]Mix remaining ingredients and blend in a food processor till smooth. [p]Brush marinade on mushrooms about 10 minutes before grilling [p]Grill on medium heat, flipping occasionally and basting with marinade. [p]Portabellas are done when they start bubbling while the gill sides are up. [p]Slice into quarters and serve with toothpicks. Great picnic side dish. [p]* These measurments are for the Chileheads out there. You might want to add the chipotles in smaller increments to achieve your desired level of heat. [p]Chipotles in Adobo Sauce[p]10 whole Chiles Dried Chipotle Chile
1/3 cup Onion sliced 1/2" thick
5 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 cloves garlic sliced
4 tablespoons ketchup
3 cups water
1/4 teaspoon salt[p]Combine all ingredients in a pan, cover, and cook over very low heat for 1 to 2 hours, until the chiles are very soft and the liquid has reduced down to about 1 cup. This recipe will keep for several weeks in the refrigerator in an airtight container. For chipotle puree, place cooked chipotles and sauce in a blender and puree.

Notes: Chipotles are smoked jalapeno peppers.

Comments

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    =Mark,
    Thanks for posting. Those mushrooms were THE BEST. Now, what the heck is cotija cheese, an exotic spelling of cottage cheese? I didn't think there was any cheese in the version you prepared at the EggFest.[p]Post these recipes in the New Recipe section if you haven't already. I'd hate for these to get buried in the log.[p]Cheers,
    Gretl

• Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    Options
    =Mark,
    This looks like a keeper. I can alsmost taste them. Thanks[p]Mary

• Mark
    Options
    1shroomzoom.jpg
    <p />Cotija cheese is a type of Mexican hard cheese. A good substutute would be Romano.[p]Actually tha marinade I used at the Eggfest did have cheese, as it used Caesar salad dressing as a base.
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    =Mark,
    If the chipotles are hard to come by here in the boonies, I can't even fathom getting Cotija cheese. Good Locatelli Romano I can get. That'll do it. And my picture would have a Yuengling Lord Chesterfield Ale in it. Yum.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    =Mark,[p]Sounds great. Can't wait to do them! This weekend?[p]Smokey

• Mark
    Options
    You ought to be able to smoke jalepenos on your BGE. I've done them on my smokers with no problems. 4 hours of smoke followed by an overnight of heat to complete the drying. Then you can follow the recipe for homemade Chipotles in Adobo.