Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked xl

Options
fyrcat
fyrcat Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We have been the owners of an xl since Dec. 06. I use the egg more than I use my wolf oven in the kitchen. 2 weeks ago I was ramping the heat up for our usual Sunday night pizza, and noticed that the backside of the bottom had a crack. I about died. My heat on the egg was around 700 deg. There had been no trauma to my egg-it wasn't dropped, or hit. I hadn't cooked at any excessive heat...so I have no idea why it was cracked. I finished making our dinner, and the next day cleaned it and took everything out of it. The crack went all across the bottom and stopped at the vent. I emailed big green egg and was contacted by Bruce. I was asked to send him some pictures, which I did. I have to tell you, he was fabulous! He told me I was covered under warranty. I could use any green egg dealer close to us to have the covered part sent to. I chose not to use who we purchased it from, but used Eggs By The Bay (Darry) in Santa Clara CA. Within 10 days Darry emailed me my new bottom was in. I picked it up on Saturday, and was back in business about 30 minutes later. I always knew that the green egg was the best thing to come into my life, but the company behind it is even better. They stand behind their product. I really am still in shock how quickly and painlessly this all went. I still am wondering why my egg cracked. We are in N. California, the weather was around 70 deg, so it wasn't shock from the cold. Any ways, the old bottom will become a planter(I can't bring myself to throw it). I wanted to share with you all, what you probably already know, GREEN EGG IS THE BEST. Cathy Whitney

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Glad to hear you had a happy ending, Darry is a great guy to deal with. -RP
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Great story Cathy. :)
  • BR-549
    BR-549 Posts: 48
    Options
    Flowers? That would be an insult to the egg. Seal it if it needs it, clean it, then throw in some ice and beer and everyone will be happy, even the egg.
  • fyrcat
    fyrcat Posts: 41
    Options
    OMG hadn't thought to use it for parties...My sincere apologies to my egg,thinking of filling it with dirt, whats wrong with me? Yup, it will be used for our fav mexican beers and the such..thank you for a super idea!!! :):)
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Glad you got your XL back up and cooking.
    Bruce has been a big help to me in past as well.
    XL is the best.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    The exact same thing happend to me with a Large I had owned for a couple years!!

I was humming along one evening cooking a Pork Loin at about 325...when I heard a loud bang.

I go running to the patio and wasn;t able to find anything!! A week or so later while cleaning out the firebox...
    i see the dreaded crack!!
    While It was still usable...Bobby at BGE took care of me and sent me out a replacement!

Smitty...(Darry) is a great guy...and one heck'ava Dealer!!

P6300388.jpg

Too bad so many here on this board never have access to a local Dealer with his knowledge of the product..,
    and desire to build a business by putting his Customer's needs first!!

Throws a pretty nice EggFest to boot...lol!!!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    That is really good to hear re the service and a company that stands behind its warranty.
  • benny
    benny Posts: 109
    Options
    ...and if you have an extra nest, it would be the right height and mobile.!
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options
    Anyone would hate to have an issue with their egg, but the company is top notch. I am very happy to hear about the way they treated you and the quick resolution. I have been so pleased with mine and I wouldn't change a thing... except maybe buy a small too. :)
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com