Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how many rib racks on Large?

skihorn
skihorn Posts: 600
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a Large and Medium and am very happy with that setup. The only time I wish for the XL is when I am doing ribs. Perhaps, I am overly concerned about having space between the racks and not having the racks extend out beyond the plate setter. I can do three babybacks or just two Spare racks on my Large. Even then I have to do some bending to keep them protected from direct heat. Yesterday, I did two racks of spares. I cut one in half and put the two halves on each side of the whole. Using a rib rack the spares also have an issue of getting close to the dome and or the thermometer. For the Medium I have to cut the racks in half and can really only accommodate three halves.

Am I being too careful and should I just freely cram more racks on the Egg and not be so concerned about spacing?

Freddie
League City, TX

Comments

• A few years back, Chef Will from Lafayette, Louisiana put 20 on his large.

ChefWils20RibRack.jpg

With the accessories now available you might even get more than that.

Spring "Twenty Plus" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • skihorn
    Wow! I guess I just need to be more bold and less claustraphobic (sp?).

Dumb question - St Louis style means babybacks, right? At least that is what they look like in the picture.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • skihorn
    Do you know what the setup on that cook is? They look low in the Egg which would help. My set-up is plate setter legs up, drip pan, grill over drip pan and rib rack on top of grill. That means the ribs are starting at the mid-point and going up. Not really a problem for babybacks but spares are definitely flirting with the top of the dome and can interfere with the thermometer if not placed carefully.

Freddie
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    St Louis cut is spares that have been trimmed(squared up).
  • I had to do some searching but I finally found this:

Posted by: wil on 2003/06/19 19:31:59

In Reply to: Re: 20 Racks of Ribs posted by Wise One on 2003/06/19 18:33:02

Wise One,
    rubbed ribs with cheap yellow mustard and let 'em sit for 2 days, fired up grill to 4oo degrees, sprinkled a little rub I made (in picture) and set them in their nest, as the meat cooled off the grill a little, i adjusted the heat to about 275 degrees, kept it there for 6 hours and 15 minutes. Every hour as I swayed them from left to right, I lightly sprinkled more rub (lightly cause it has brown sugar in it)each time. When finished I brushed a Thai basting sauce on them and let them rest for about 1/2 hour before serving them. The thai sauce had some cilantro and jalapeno's blended in. Just added a sprinkle of seasame seeds for added texture and Voila !!!

I recall doing some cooks direct before I learned about the plate setter. (Yes, a long time ago)

I figured that all I have to do is heat up the Egg to the temperature I wanted (plus a few to offset the cold meat), then close the bottom vent.

By closing the bottom draft door and leaving the rain cap off (Yes, before I ever heard of an adjustable metal cap), I could effectively reduce the draft enough that my meat wouldn't burn. (Yes, before I heard of a raised grid). I did know to turn long cooks like ribs over and around, and spritz them every once in awhile.

They weren't great but they didn't burn too much either.

Hope this helps.

Spring "Back In The Old Days" Chicken
  • I've never cooked more than 2 racks of spares at one time, but the spares and the trimmings fill up the large pretty well.

Many times I have cooked 6 racks of BBs on the large. I never tried more but I've never needed to do more. 6 racks (using a rib rack that holds 4 and leaning the others against it or set some on top) fills up my large pretty good.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    A little foil can save a lot of worries...
    DSC00014.JPG
  • skihorn
    Spring: Thanks for searching that. I couldn't figure out he was doing it other than direct.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • skihorn
    Wess, I will have to try that.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Don't leave it on for to long...it's one of them experiment and find what you like best kinda things...the first 2 hours is probably plenty..
  • I did 8 racks on my inagural cook on my LBGE. Worked out perfectly.

ribsonBGE.jpg