Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beautiful Boston Butts

Gator Bait
Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

In the beginning there was fire . . . and several large chunks of apple, cherry and mesquite for smoke mixed in. The DigiQ dialed in at 210º and the egg indirect.
DSCN7637A_640.jpg

. . . then there was this nifty little orange sticker I put on the fan to my DigiQ II so I could see it going around. :cheer:
DSCN7685A_640.jpg

One of the resident Mockingbirds came down and kept me company.
DSCN7655A_640.jpg

The butts hit the egg running . . .
DSCN7648A_640.jpg

. . . and hardly did anything for the longest time, 2 hours in.
DSCN7703A_640.jpg

. . . six hours in.
DSCN7704A_640.jpg

. . . 12 hours in.
DSCN7727A_640.jpg

. . . 22 1/2 hours in and they finally hit 200º internal.
DSCN7733A_640.jpg

I started with Cowboy lump up to the very top of the fire ring! DSCN7737A_640.jpg

Falling apart tender and juicy . . .
DSCN7753A_640.jpg

That is the largest bowl I have, I think it is something like 4 liters. That's a lot of pulled pork!
DSCN7740A_640.jpg

The End.
DSCN7754A_640.jpg

I originally had the DigiQ set at 225º but it seamed a just a bit high so I set it back to 210º. At the end I set it up to 260º for about the last half hour. The internal was up to 193º and I pulled them from the egg when they hit 200º.

I haven't done anything to the pulled pork yet. Before I chow down I will mix Blues Hog BBQ sauce with Sonny's Sweet BBQ sauce, 50/50 and lightly sauce the pork. A little salt would help, it is pretty bland the way it is now. I may try adding a little splash of Coke, I hear it does good things. Served on a bun with some Cole slaw on top it should hit the spot. ;)

Have a great week All,

Blair

Comments