Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dual action top

Options
AbqEgg'r
AbqEgg'r Posts: 91
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I may be the only idiot that didn't realize this, but thought I'd pass it along for the other newbies that may be in the same boat. I didn't realize the five holes didn't line up at the same time. I'd barely crack it open, not realizing that I had a hole on the other side wide open. No wonder it was hard to keep that temp down![p]TR

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    AbqEgg'r,
    Also a newbie (anxiously awaiting delivery actually) but -
    Do you think this is by design or due to a design flaw? It seems like what you are describing would make it so that you could never have all 5 open at the same time but that only as many that would line up. If that is the case, then your real temp control is just coming by sliding the whole top and leaving the 5 slots closed - making the function (and puchase) of that unit questionable. If others could also comment about this I would appreciate it.

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    AbqEgg'r,
    Call BGE HQ. They should all line up. THere's no way you can control the heat with it if they don't.
    JimW

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    AbqEgg'r,
    My engineering classes have been too far back so I can't recall what the name is for this type of casting is called (lost wax maybe) but it uses a sand mold and styrofoam or wax that is melted away when the molten metal is poured in. Very low tech operation. I think you're seeing some minor deviations from one part to another part. My holes are anything but uniform but its not a problem.[p]Tim

• AbqEgg'r
    AbqEgg'r Posts: 91
    Options
    Tim M,
    Just went back out and looked; I have two tops and they are both the same. It actually appears to be a very clever design. Wide open, all of the wholes are open at the same time. As you start to close down some are covered sooner than others. I believe this will actually give you a wider range of temp control.[p]My problem is I have had times where I thought I had it totally closed, but had I looked at the entire top I would have found one to three wholes partially open.[p]TR