Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help - Dome Stuck Shut

Options
PapaB
PapaB Posts: 146
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did some steaks last night. When I was done,I left the cover off the dome with the vent wide open to burn off some gunk on the inside. This morning, I went out to check out what the burn off had done, and I can't get the dome open. This is a first for me. Any suggestions on how to get it open without chewing up my gasket, or do you think my gasket is the problem? I've only had my LGE for a little over a year.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Options
    You have a few options. I had this recently and had the best luck with a putty type scraper. I slid it between the gasket and eased it around, pushing through the harder spots.

The other option is to drop a lit cube in and try to light any unused coals. The heat of this may work well to loosen the gaskets up so you can open the egg.
  • PapaB
    Options
    Thanks...makes sense. I'll give it a try.
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    I drop two or three cubes down the vent. You don't have to light the lump. Just wait till the dome warms up then the dome will open. This will happen more frequently as the gasket absorbs more grease. I read one guys solutions was to put a thin metal piece between the top and the bottom of the egg. Good luck to you.
  • asianflava
    Options
    It's happened to me a couple times when I did a high temp burn off. A putty knife will work, but I used a box cutter. I just slid it between the lid and base and worked m way around. Dropping lit cubes in thru the top only works if it is frozen (due to ice) shut, not when the gasket has melted together.
  • PapaB
    Options
    Thanks to all for your suggestions. I waited for the outside temp to warm, but it wouldn't budge. I was able to slip a putty knife in between the gaskets and work it loose that way. I guess my gasket is gettin' kinda gunky. I noticed that the top and bottom had stuck in one area.

Thanks again for the help.