Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Where to eat in Key West......

Options
GenesGrill
GenesGrill Posts: 308
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
will be going to Key West in about two weeks and need some recommendations as to where to eat, preferably places reasonably priced. Thanks for any tips!!

Comments

• larryd
    larryd Posts: 121
    Options
    I'd be interested too, we're going in July
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    Gene,
    I used to live there. Last year was the first one I haven't been since 1990. Hell, I even got married there.
    Places open and close there quite a bit so your best source of info are people like cab drivers. We usually stay out of the places like Margaritaville and Hard Rock but they have them.
    The one place I recommend above any other is Blue Heaven. They have incredible food with my favorite being the loster & shrimp eggs benedict w/lime hollandaise. They're reasonable and the setting is outside with chickens walking around.
    Kelly's Caribbean, which is owned by actress Kelly McGillis is great. They have a lively happy hour and you want to try the key lime margarita.
    Upper Crust Pizza on Duval St is excellent & reasonable. A few years ago I was there with someone from the House Appropriations Committee and a contingent from Italy. The Italians thought it was the most authentic pizza they had outside of their country.
    Pepi's Cafe on Caroline St is a great breakfast place. Food is cheep and the order's are huge. They also have great steaks.
    Finnegan's Wake has authentic Irish food and over 100 imported beers on draft.
    For entertainment our favorite place is Irish Kevin's. Check their schedule and if you get a chance to see Jared Hobgood don't pass it up.
    If you like good music that's not your typical cover band stuff go to the Green Parrot. Incredible blues club.
    You will find if you hang with the locals and their places you have a lot more fun for a lot less money. Also, you might want to check on the cruise ship schedules. When two or three of them are docked it can be packed on Duval St. Every business there has the schedule so they know how to staff. If you're looking for somethin fancier let me know.

Bill
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Schooner's is a popular dive, but great to hang. Mel Fisher used to sell many shares into his treasure quests on napkins from the bar. Great mid day hangout.

Don't forget Mallory Square for sunsets.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=schooners+key+west&aq=f&aqi=g2&aql=&oq=
  • CBBQ
    Options
    Richard,
    I always go next door to the Westin for the sunset festival. Nothing like a few drinks, great sunset and watching the insane Cat Man. LOL.
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    I used to stay the second week in August, start of lobster season, at the Galleon.

The Cat Man was my favorite, but one year in '97 or so his cats were catnapped in Miami and the show had no actors for awhile.
  • CBBQ
    Options
    Heve you ever gotten up close to him. Besides the hundreds of holes in his shirts he has thousands of scars from claws.
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Shook hands sometime in the mid '90's as I was giving some a TIP!
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I'm with CBBQ, I like Blue Heaven [if you don't mind a chicken beggin' for scraps] and Kelly's :) :laugh: :cheer:
    Schooner's is great for a few brew's and Michael McCloud :cheer:
  • Jumping Joe
    Options
    Seven Fish - Awesome...small restaurant on a corner with great food and service.

Blue Heaven - best scallops I've had (haven't made them on my egg yet)- a few cats walking around....very unique outside restaurant

Santiago's Bodega - tapas restaurant. Kind of cool trying out a bunch of small portion Tapas.

We ate at a few other good one's but these three topped our list.
  • boston_stoker
    Options
    It is hard to beat the Westin hotel as far as location goes. Have a few drinks before dinner watching the sunset at Louie's Backyard. It is great! (but not the cheapest option)

For a little more cost friendly, if you like oysters - nothing's better than Half shell. 231 Margaret St. http://www.halfshellrawbar.com/
    Other good options are all around the pier - Conch Republic Seafood is a good place, nothing amazing food wise, but good bar food and fun place to hang out and drink. Commodore next door is a little fancier and higher quality.

Bars - basically anything on Duval street is fun. Sloppy Joe's, Hog's Breath, & Rick's are the most famous. Rick's is a crazy complex of many bars and themes and dancing, etc...
    Irish Kevin's has live entertainment where people get thrown out all the time, rather fun.

HAVE to go to Sunset Pier to watch one of the sunsets. great bar, and never see a better view. http://www.oceankey.com/oceankey_dining_sunsetpier.aspx.
    Fun place to check out if you're walking by is Smallest Bar: http://www.oldcustomshouse.com/smallest-bar.htm at 124 Duval, close to the water.
    Bull & whistle is great because it has an upstairs balcony where you can people watch - it's lots of fun. http://www.bullkeywest.com/