Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another ? about smoke

Options
XLentEGG
XLentEGG Posts: 436
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have read on here that just because you cant see the smoke, does'nt mean it's not there.I cannot see under my platesetter and so far have just figured that once the smoke from the chunks has cleared,that it was gone.
I'm going to do a low temp rib roast today with apple wood.I was planing on setting the temp with the platesetter in, putting in the wood when the meat goes on.(taking the ps out and adding wood chunks)Does this seem proper? If I put chunks in during warmup( after liteup)will there be any smoke flavor to be had once the egg hits 250? Welcoming any and all input!! :ohmy:
More meat please !! :-)

Comments

• Smokin' not stirred
    Options
    That's the way I do it. You may want to throw a chunk in the middle of the lump as well.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC07692a.jpg

If you mix some chips within the lump and put a layer or two of splits like this (one deep, add some lump then another wagon wheel of splits) You will have smoke for a long while. I start one spot in the center of the lump, and let the fire settle in for about an hour before adding food.

DSC05386JPGxx.jpg

No you don't have to see much smoke at all, there is not a lot of square inches inside your Egg, so a little goes a long way. Think about this.... you don't see much smoke in a bar, but if you hang out there a while your shirt sure will smell smoky.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery