Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie, first shoulder on BGE

Options
jcmahoney
jcmahoney Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Started a shoulder last nigh 9PM, all good @midnight, 7 AM no fire. meat 115 at midnight.

Charcoal burned straight down - looked like a donut hole. Grill was almost totally cool - probably 70 degrees. meat was 120. I added coal and fired back up.

Question 1 - did i do something wrong with coal, or just smother it at some point during adjustment?

Question 2 - When the meat hits 195-200, I presume any illness causing microbes will be gone, am I correct?

Thanks folks!

Comments

• jcmahoney
    Options
    And oh yeah I had ribs for dinner last night and breakfast this morning @ 7 Am.
    :side:
  • berrygood
    Options
    Smarter people than I will reply, but I'd be somewhat concerned. The general rule is that you don't want the meat between 40 and 140 for over 4 hours, so the decision is yours. Hopefully Little Chef, our resident food safety guru, will chime in. (May wanna modify the subject to indicate your concern).

As to what you did wrong, that's tough to say. I always light my fire in three places to encourage an even vertical burn, so you might try that next time.

Good luck, friend.