Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pulled pork question

Options
chumdog
chumdog Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have two 7 lb. pork butts on the egg right now. They have been on there close to 2 and a half to three hours and my internal temp is up to 140 degrees already. This is the first time I have gotten this high this fast. My dome temp is 225. It has stayed at that consistent. Should I be comcered? I know these things have a mind of their own. The weid thing is I pulled two off earlier today that cooked for 17 hours. Thanks!

Comments

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    A lot of times they start out fast. Don't worry,they slow down. You are on track. ;)
  • LImp Brisket
    Options
    Do you have a back up thermometer? If not, you can always just poke it and see if it goes thru like butter.
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Options
    Not to worry. When they hit the plateau, the temp will stay the same level for a long time...
  • Gator Bait
    Options

I THINK you are OK. I have two butts in my medium that I put on at 3:00pm. After three hours I think they were pretty close to yours. I haven't done butts for well over a year so I am very rusty and never two at a time. I just checked them and after 9 hours they are at 160º internal and the egg is still chugging along between 210º and 220º. Mine are probably just starting to think about entering the first plateau. I have seen them go through three plateaus and take for ever from this stage. You can't out guess them. That internal temperature may even drop. At nine hours the bark on mine is just getting dark, not black but dark.

The morning will reveal all! LOL.

Blair

• Gator Bait
    Options

7:00AM here, 16 hours in and the egg is still chugging along nicely at 210º. Internal temp on the butts is up to 173º! When I put them on I was looking at 195º to 200º between 10:00AM and noon. I just may be close! :)

• chumdog
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Sometimes you just need peace of mind from hearing it from someone else. It is 8 AM and internal temp is 181. About where it should be. Pork never ceases to amaze me. The last two I cooked went for a little over 17 hours. I'm coming up on 12 hours on these two and they are getting close. Of course, I have seen 15 degrees take two hours or more two. Thanks again!!
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Butts are just weird, I just looked at mine and at 18 hours the internal is up to 182º. I bumped the DigiQ II from 210º up to 225º just so I wouldn't be all day at this. :laugh:

I will post the cook later this afternoon when all is done.