Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

four cooks on the LBGE (new to this stuff)

smokeybreeze
smokeybreeze Posts: 216
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For about a year or two, I've been trying to convince my wife that we needed a BGE.

The reason we didn't need one for those months was that we had a really nice and good gas grill. Which we do have.

Then, I took her to my business partner's house for dinner. He has a BGE and has had it since I've tried convincing my wife that we needed one of these. He smoked/grilled BBRs and Chix that night.

The very next day (Sunday), my wife was espousing to me the benefits of getting a BGE, so, not to let a gift horse get out of the barn, went and purchased a Large BGE with her.

That evening, I made smoked and grilled chicken wings and drummies. They were a super hit with the family.

That was less than a month ago. Since then I've done 2 cooks of 3 full racks of BBRs, a 4-5# pork loin roast, and just today we've got 10+# of pork shoulder roast waiting for the right rub and smoking schedule.

So, here's my first BBR meal:

I removed the membrane from the BBRs.

I rubbed this batch with Penzys Chicage Steak Seasoning and let that sit for 30-45 minutes as I started the BGE. I used Cowboy brand natural hardwood lump for this cook. I used a MAPP gas torch to light the charcoal. I put in the plate setter legs down (silly me they shoulda been legs up).

I stabilized the dome temp at 250 and added the ribs in a rack thickest side up. (If you think I know what I'm doing here, don't let the description fool you, this is my second time cooking on the BGE).

5 hours later (no peeking, no opening the BGE), I brought the racks inside, removed the plate setter, replaced the grill and opened the vents to heat up the BGE.

While I had the ribs inside, I cut them in half and brushed them liberally with BBQ sauce (I used Ken Davis Original BBQ Sauce for this cook since that's what I had in the fridge at the time).

When the BGE dome temp was just over 400 degrees, I grilled the ribs - 3 minutes on each side flipping them twice (3 min, flip, 3 min, flip, 3 min, flip, 3 min, remove).

I closed all the BGE vents and took the ribs inside where I cut them into bones and put them into a crock pot set to low.

I then cooked up some rice and veggies. When these were done, dinner was served.

Here's some pics of that meal (sorry for the size of the pics, I'm still new to this stuff):

The BBRs after the 5 hour smoke:
IMG_4247.JPG
IMG_4251.JPG

The BBRs cut in half (look at that smoke ring):
IMG_4252.JPG

The BBRs brushed with BBQ sauce, ready for grilling:
IMG_4254.JPG

The BBRs in the crock pot waiting for the rest of the meal to finish:
IMG_4260.JPG

Now, my lovely bride of 23 years is acting like a BGE sales person telling all her friends how wonderful this thing is.

Who'da thunk that I'd been trying to convince her that we needed a BGE for so long?

Comments