Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib Roast

Wazoo
Wazoo Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Costo had a 3.5lb Prime Rib Roast out the other day so we indulged, though we're not much into "fatty" meats -- prefer sirloin, tenderloins, et al... Must say, it turned out pretty good.

100_0306.jpg

100_0307.jpg

100_0309.jpg

Comments

• thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Now that is a good looking piece of meat. :)
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Looks fantastic Wazoo.

Do you live back in Louisiana now?

Spring Hen and I have some LSU in our DNA, along with some bathtub sangria and other unmentionable stuff. But that was in another life.

Spring "Always Wondered If They Cleaned The Tub First" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Can you offer up how you cooked it? Sear first? Then what temp and length of time?
    I'm about to do a ribeye roast (boneless) about the same size.

Thanks!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Your correct will not be good, just ship it over to Texas :woohoo:
    Nice...............
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Wazoo
    Live up in Waldorf, MD now (Eggfest a-comin). Son is a sophomore at LSU this year. Wife's family is native to N-LA, to we have lots of reason to visit. Gotta make a crawfish run (bring lots of frozen 1lb "bricks" back) when we head back down there in May.

Cooked indirect at 325 for about 2 hours - no sear. Coated in char-crust and Chef Hans' Meat Seasoning (local to LA). Used BBQ Guru to maintain temp.
  • We made it up to Waldorf a few years ago but arrived too late for the Fest itself. Everyone was packing up. It was also misting rain and cold. We were wearing shorts. But we were invited to the After Party. Need I say more?

Waldorf is on our list of Fests to hit at least one more time. Just don't know when. Good fun-loving folks up there.

I'm pretty sure you are Cajunizing some of your neighbors. Tiger Eggheads do that well and frequently.

Have fun.

Spring "Across The River From Louisiana" Chicken
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Great color -- inside and out! :P
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    nice even color across that.

i hate to say it, because it sounds like blasphemy, but like you i don't care for the wet and profuse fat. my go-to steak, for example, if fresh from the butcher's case, would be a strip.

but. and it's a big 'but'...

if you age your rib eye (roast or half/whole primal), say 28 days or so, you will lose quite a bit, i'd say 75% of that 'fat' you dislike. to be truthful, it's not the fat you lose, you lose the water from the fat. it condenses, and when you cook it, you won't have those loose massive ribbons of limp fat.

aged, the ribeye is easily my favorite steak for that reason. all the flavor from the fat, little or none of the waste, and absolutely none of that watery floppy texture from the fat.

give it a shot.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Looks like you nailed. Perfect for my tastes. I am sure it tasted as good as it looked
  • Wazoo
    Interesting -- thanks for the tip. I'll try it. Waz