Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-Tip Beef

Options
Fornia
Fornia Posts: 451
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finding Tri-Tip here in Berks County, PA…has been brutal.

I did find a butcher months ago, who just happens to be right along my drive to Fred’s store (bonus!). Super friendly ‘old school’ meat man, who makes the best damn bacon we’ve ever had.

I talked to him about Tri-Tip and he apologetically said, he had to buy too many to make it happen. Looked around at other butchers in our area, and just couldn’t find one. I've been told many grind it up for burger.

Well…on the way back from Fred’s a few weeks ago, I stopped in…and he mentioned he had Tri-Tips in his freezer section. He said that another person (from my town no less, 20min. from shop) ordered a bunch of them on a few occasions. How cool, so I grabbed one! The way I figure, we had a Texan move into Maidencreek Township. Cool with me!

Did not have time to marinate…I know, I know. Next time for sure!

I went with rubbing some EVOO, then a heavy dose of Tasty Licks RedEye Redmeat Rub. I did a sear at 550 for 3 minutes per side(porcelain grid only because cast iron grid is stored in my kettle, under ice & snow), then off the Egg and wrapped in foil. I then brought the dome temp to 350 and pulled at 129 internal. Finally, another foil rest for 10 min. before slicing.

This was absolutely excellent! Sliced nice and thin against the grain. Had it as a sandwich with some horsy sauce I whipped up. Will be doing more of these for sure!

IMG_2766.jpg
IMG_2768.jpg
IMG_2772.jpg
IMG_2774.jpg
IMG_2776.jpg
IMG_2778.jpg

Comments