Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prospective Egg Buyer Questions...

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy folks,[p]Been lurking in the forums a few days and I'm really impressed with the passion you egg owners display about the BGE.[p]Thinking of buying one to augment my Weber gas grill. [p]I live in Jax. Florida and grill year-round so I think the investment would be well worth it. Not to mention I'm a carnivore to the n'th degree.[p]Had a couple generic questions I hope someone wouldn't mind answering:
1) For a family of three would the medium egg do a good job? We also like to entertain from time to time a few close friends and I'd like to be able to cook 4-6 steaks at once for instance.[p]2)I've never cooked with charcoal or "lump". Does is create a huge mess each time you cook? IE: will I have a stack of ashes in my backyard in no time if I use the egg 2-4 times a week?[p]3) We have a barbecue's galore not terribly far from where I live. Is that a good place to purchase one of these wonders?[p]Thanks in advance for the advice!

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Fenbay,
    1) a med would work, but a large is better
    2) lump is pratically pure carbon so ashes are measured in spoonfuls
    3) I can't help you[p]BTW we're a family of 2 and own a large, med and small - it gets in your blood!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Fenbay,[p]If you mean augment as in "to totally replace and leave the former to be used only as a place to store my BGE tools and eggcessories," then yes. The BGE will augment the weber nicely.[p]I am part of a family of three, and while a medium may be "enough" for that, it may be limiting for the entertaining and experimenting side. Some of our famous users like T-Rex have made a medium work for them, but I think if you asked everyone, they'd say if you are deciding between med and large, go ahead and get the large. [p]The area of the large is a little over 260 sq inches, while the medium is a bit over 176 sq inches. That's a pretty sizable difference.[p]Lump is infinitely cleaner than charcoal in the amount of ash it produces. I don't have a ratio, but I would bet that lump creates less than 1/4th the ash that briquettes do, and maybe less.[p]For a local dealer or three to comparison shop, try the locator at the front of this website or post here and I'm sure folks will tell you of dealers near you that they have had success with. [p]Good luck and welcome aboard.
  • Mark Backer
    RRP,[p]Oh yeah, we got our first egg (large) in june, and since then have added a mini, a small and a chiminea. [p]Here...have some koolade. You'll like it.
  • Fenbay,
    "augment my Weber gas grill" - Thats funny.
    The egg will replace it. I haven't fired my grill up since I got my Medium egg for Christmas '03. I really should sell the thing to some unsuspecting buyer.[p]1) A medium worked fine for my family of 4 until I started doing alot of competive BBQ. Now I have a large and a medium. Most folks here will try to talk you into a large ... but a medium works just fine. [p]2) Ash is good for your yard. I clean out my ash (from the bottom) each time I use it. I use a small garden trowel and scoop it into the raincap. The raincap will easily hold the ash from a full load of lump. After it cools I throw it around the yard. Lump burns much cleaner then log fires ... there is alot less ash.[p]3) Not sure. But I'm sure other folks will speak up.[p]
    Enjoy your new egg. Find someone near you ... they would be happy to cook something or give you a test drive. We are a real friendly bunch.[p]Doug

• Fenbay,
    Regardless of what size you end up buying it will eventually replace anything else you grill or Q with. [p]Size - I too have a family of three and have the large and am considering adding a small soon. For the money get the large.[p]Natural coal/lump - you will not have a yard full of ash. I use my egg a few times a week and can go a few weeks before cleaning or chose to clean it out more often when doing lo-N-slow cooks. You will find that whatever you consider a "mess" is a no brainer trade-off to the quality of cooking you end up with.[p]Where to purchase - there is a Florida Egg Fest March 18 & 19th and I think you can purchase a seasoned egg for a very fair price. It probably worth the drive from JAX just to experience the "eggsperience".[p]Check out the link below. [p]FWIW... Joe

[ul][li]Florida Egg Fest[/ul]
  • Fenbay,Lump and the Egg are a wonderful combination. You will be suprised at the difference over what you have been eating. Ash... what is that? I have only been egging three years; guess I need to clean my eggs out.:) I would get an Egg at the Florida Eggfest. It will save you $$$, you will get a lot of great advice from experienced Eggers,make new friends, you will eat some INCREDIBLE food, AND most important, you will get to meet QBABE !! Queen of EGGERS !

• Mark Backer
    tn slagamater,[p]I agree about waiting for an eggfest. Getting a discounted egg and meeting everyone, and seeing, tasting and talking about all of that great food will help you immensely in getting started.[p]How long until that fest again?
  • Fenbay,
    I was a lurker as well before making the decision to go for it.
    We are a family of 4 and usually 12 or 14 on weekends. The large does just fine for us. I wouldn't consider the medium for our situation. [p]As so many have attested; the lump produces very little ash and you'll find that you can go weeks without cleaning it out. [p]Don't know about much about the retailer.[p]PS. be sure to get a few accessories while your at it.
    Here are ones that I enjoy using. [p]Grid lifter
    Plate setter
    Pizza Stone (walmart $8.00 for 16")
    Fire bricks (3) $0.80 ea. at your local brick yard.
    Welding gloves for handling the above bricks and platesetter.
    I have a cast irond grid but haven't used it yet.[p]Enjoy!

• Fenbay,
    I have a family of three. I bought the large last July. In the summer I egg a lot of fish and fresh vegetables. A typical meal would be 3 salmon/swordfish steaks, a sliced zucchini, sliced summer squash, some red or yellow bell pepper, and mushrooms. Sometimes portabellas sub for fish or meat. I find that the large has just enough room for all of those items. Sounds like a lot of food, but the veggies when sliced take a lot of space. I'm sure a medium would be fine, but if you can afford it, get the large. [p]My wife bought me a small in September. It is great for cooking steaks, fish, pork tenderloins, etc. without firing up the big guy. A perfect compliment to the large.[p]As for the ash when using lump, everyone else sums it up pretty well. There is some, but not nearly as much as briquettes.

• Fenbay,
    I just got my first Egg for Christmas. I got a Large and I am very glad that I did. I cook on it almost every night. When my wife is preparing food (on nights when I get home late), I ask her if I can cook it on the Egg. So far, the only thing that she won't let me throw on there is the salad.[p]I would definately encourage you to get the LARGE. I am one month into my new life as an Egger and I am ready to add a small. I used to use my gas grill all the time. Since I got the Egg, I have only used it once and that was because I ran out of room on the Egg. Hence, the reason for wanting to add a small.[p]Good Luck,
    Brad (in South Florida)

• Fenbay,[p]1) I'd vote for the large as well. Be prepared that the Large has separation anxiety and you will probably need to buy a smal l shortly thereafter just to keep it company. Seriously, when entertaining there are times when you kind of have to stack things up in the large - it'd really be tight in a medium.[p]2) The ash is not that bad. I have a galvanized bucket under the table that holds my large which I have to empty once a month or so. I would think it's less mess than briquettes.[p]3) I'd call for a road trip to ATL and visit the store. Bring a truck.[p]RE
  • Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Fenbay,
    I bought my large at the Ace on Atlantic near Hodges. Since BBQ Galore is also in town, you can work them. Ace threw in the cover and some basic tools.[p]The ash is no problem. I actually bag it every couple of weeks in a little publix shopping bag and put it in the garbage. A large fire produces about one measuring cup full of ash, so, since I cook on the egg about three times each week, I just get ash out each weekend or before big projects. Minimal issue.[p]As to size, go large if you can. I love to cook for friends, and four steaks and some veggies takes up about all the real estate I have. I just bought the raised grid, though, so maybe I'll have bigger parties.[p]Welcome! You're life is about to change for the better. Hunker down this weekend and next week...things are going to get a little crazy.[p]Good luck.
    Joyce

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Fisheyes,[p]I have done a salad on the egg many times. I found the recipe in Steven Raichlen's BBQ USA (page 110). It is a grilled Caesar salad. It is very fast and easy. I will toss the lettuce on the egg after the steaks are done and resting. [p]Steve-B
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Smokin Joe,[p]Thanks for passing that information along! We'd love to have a new egger get a GREAT deal on a demo egg at our event. Plus, he and his family would meet some really nice folks and eat some fantastic food all day long...[p]Tonia
    :~)

[ul][li]Come and join the Fun![/ul]
  • QBabe
    tn slagamater,[p]Awww! Thanks...[p]Tonia

• BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    tn slagamater typed:[p]"most important, you will get to meet QBABE !! Queen of EGGERS !"[p]You better go to the meet-and-greet on Friday night. Q-Babe is so busy cooking up a storm on Saturday that there really isn't a whole lot of time to get to know her. You can learn a lot watching her cook, but when she's cooking...she's cooking.[p]BOB[p]
  • QBabe
    Fenbay,[p]You've gotten a lot of good advice below, but I'll chime in with my perspective.[p]We're a family of 2, my husband Brutus and I. The medium would certainly feed your family of 3 and any occasional guests just fine, but you'll soon find that your guest list expands, and that you'll want to do the holiday turkey for the entire family on it, and so on, and so on, and so on...[p]If you can swing it, go for the large. It won't be long before you decide to get a second and third one anyway, LOL![p]Lump charcoal does create ash, but not nearly as much as briquettes. We recycle ours into a compost pile for our garden and flower beds, but you could scatter it into the yard just as easily.[p]As far as the retailer, I can't help you since we don't have one locally in Gainesville, but I can tell you that you won't be able to beat the prices you'd get at the Florida Eggfest in March for a demo egg.[p]The cabins and campsites at the park are now full, but there's lots of room at the Holiday Inn and the Days Inn, just 1 mile down the road from our party (or if you're a camping family, there are other campgrounds in the nearby area).[p]Hope you can join us!
    Tonia
    :~)[p]

[ul][li]Check it out and come and join the fun![/ul]
  • QBabe
    BobinFla,[p]Yes, I know...my eyes are bigger than my stomach...yikes![p]Tonia

• QBabe,
    My pleasure! I feel this huge gravitational pull toward Ocala in March, but I'm not sue I can make it happen. I'll keep working on it. It sure would be nice to get to meet a lot of the great folks from this forum. Joe

• Thanks a bunch for all of the great advice. I'm going to try and get the wife to head down to Ocala for a day-trip Saturday or Sunday during the Eggfest.[p]Is BGE the factory going to be there and selling the product or just the egg affectionados?
  • Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Fenbay,
    Qbabe will tell the real story, but I believe it's a dealer who is going to be there. I think BGE is sending some door prizes and stuff like that.[p]The dealer needs to know ahead of time who is going to buy the demo eggs that he brings so that he brings the right sizes and quantities of each.[p]I'll be there and hope to meet you.
    Joyce

• BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    QBabe,
    Just remember...the first year, we cooked on 2 different days. Last year you (including Brutus) and I still took enough food to cook for 2 days and cooked most of it in one day.
    But with your list of those who aren't cooking (just eating!), maybe you can get them to cook when grill space opens up. [p]Have fun. I'll probably be there in 2006[p]BOB

• QBabe
    Fenbay,[p]We have a BGE dealer who is participating and will be bringing the pre-purchased eggs with him to use as demos at the "Fest". But Trouble is right. The eggs that will be there are either 1) ours that we brought with us or 2) ones that have been pre-purchased by other eggers. There aren't really any "leftovers" for anyone to purchase at the site. So if you want one, you have to purchase it ahead of time and Tony will bring it with him.[p]BTW, the dates for the "Fest" are March 18 and 19, Friday and Saturday. There are no festivities planned for Sunday. The Meet and Greet is the only activity planned for Friday evening. The demo eggs will be used to cook during the day on Saturday and will go home with their new owners by the time things wind down at the end of the day.[p]Please get in touch if you are interested. Hope to see you there...[p]Tonia

[ul][li]Details on the Florida Eggfest[/ul]
  • QBabe
    Smokin Joe,[p]So, where is Suwannee, GA? North, south, east or west of Atlanta? Hmmmmmmmm (those are gravity vibes coming your way, pulling you towards Ocala). HHHHmmmmmmmmmm![p]Tonia

• Mark Backer
    QBabe,[p]It's northeast of atlanta about 25 miles outside of town right off I85.[p]
    At least that's where joe's house is...

• QBabe,
    Todd is close - about 25 miles Northeast of downtown, but I'm about 12 miles West of 85. Two years ago I drove to Orlando and I think it took about 7 - 7 1/2 hours. That's not a bad drive. Yea, I'm feeling that gravitational pull. I need to do something about it. Joe

• QBabe, Eggfest Eggs are a GREAT DEAL, ALWAYS. And you will always be glad you went to an Eggfest, nothing compares til you have been to the next one !!!