Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Worth It?

ThunderBunny
ThunderBunny Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Happy Friday everyone,
I own - and love - a large and suddenly have a wild hare to spring for a mini and its little stand. Thinking it would be perfect for all those times I just want a single burger or brat or something. Is it good for much else though? Also, is it a good little cooker or does its size bring along inherent limitations in efficiency??

Comments

• You should check out Spring Chicken's thread just below. There will be alot of pics posted of mini cooks, as well as a link with many mini cook ideas. You will probably be able to tell how much I love my mini from the pics I posted there.

I say go for the mini!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I own two larges and two smalls and Faith has me drooling to get a mini! :P :side: :silly: :woohoo:
  • Listen to FGG! The Mini is PEFECT for small meals for one or two folks. I actually use our Mini more than the others for the wife and I doing dinner. Think of it as pot sizes in the kitchen, sometimes you are cooking a lot, but most of the time you aren't. If you are a two person household versus a 3-4 person +, you will love it! Hope this helps, let us know what you decide. Below is a Monster Ribeye & Filets for two on the Mini for comparison.

2010-07-30%202010-07-30%20001%20011.JPG?psid=1

2010-07-09%202010-07-09%20001%20011.JPG?psid=1
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • We have a lg and a small, Mini came for Christmas. Really don't know how we got along with out it. We have been in Florida for a month and brought the mini with us in the travel trailer. It is just perfect for the 2 of us, for anything we want to cook. Even took it to a superbowl party and did 50 abt's. Everyone loved them.
    Adopt one, you won't regret it.

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    I have 7 eggs and two of them are minis LOL they are split between FL and ME and the two minis are used more than any of them.with just two of us we it is perfect. and we are not mini eaters :whistle: they light fast get very hot and are portable to. most who have them love them.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    (and I own one and love it)

Nope!!!

Since I own multiple Eggs...it's easy to say. But if I just had a Large...my second EGG ..WITHOUT A DOUBT WOULD BE A SMALL!!

Ther are waaaay tooo many things you can do on a Small...that you cant on a Mini.

;)
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • I have had a XL for about six months. I love the thing. However; I figured out quickly that it was toooo much of a cooker for two people. So I decided to buy the reducer ring to make the fire ring and grid the same size as a large. It was still to big. So I decided to buy a Mini for my Christmas present. As others have said it is perfect for two people. I have cooked butts on it, beer but chicken, ribs and much more. I made a plate setter for it for indirect cooks. I don't think you will be disappointed if you get one.
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    I use mine a lot. You are going into it with the right idea.
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    I agree. I have a small and large. The two best to have. I gave my daughter the small to take to school. I bought a mini because I got the bug. I use it all the time for the small stuff and use it all the time.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    I agree Chubby but the mini makes a great 3'rd egg. I use mine all the time
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I've posted this pic many times, but if you live in colder climes - and have a fireplace - the mini is particularly awesome!! Mine has been there since November or so and has seen the majority of my cooks this winter. Perfect when cooking for 1-2 people. Haven't tried a lo n slow cook on it so I can't say whether the lump would last long enough. Still, my large is feeling neglected!

4288784976_7f6ec45ac4_b.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Michael, what a great idea of putting the mini in the fireplace!! Saves you from having to go outside in the cold or rain. That's awesome.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    haha. SNOW - you forgot SNOW!!! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    If you are cooking for 1 or 2 often, it is totally worth it. It's my charcoal-fired microwave ;-) A couple accessories to raise the grid and allow indirect cooks, it is fairly versatile. I love mine.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I only have one large.If I were to buy another size it would be a small,then another large,then maybe a mini.My $.02
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Im wit'cha!!

Ann's Mini...is out 3'd car on the Team!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • don't do it//// it's too small..... you'll regret it....rr
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Chubby, I 100% agree.
    If you are not looking for a travel egg I would never buy a mini over a small.
    I also have both. Small is the way to go.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Think how great it would be to have a small BGE in the fireplace...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    BGEMiniaccessories006.jpg

BGERibEyes1_07002.jpg

BGEMiniRackofLamb004.jpg

It's a great little cooker.
  • For me, the mini is my day to day cooker and my large is my low and slow weekend cooker.
  • Where did that plate setter without legs come from? Did you cut one down?

Judy in San Diego
    Judy in San Diego
  • Wazoo
    Wazoo Posts: 150
    I love it -- Jr is off at school, so it's just the two of us:

101_0053.jpg

101_0136.jpg

100_1203.jpg

100_1020.jpg
  • L/S combo here, but my advice on these questions is to listen to the people who have a bunch of different sized eggs - they have better info than the rest of us.
  • Lots of good responses here. I have a mini. was debating between that and a small. turned out the mini was the right choice for me.

the one thing I would add is that it all depends on how you want to use it.

if you are typically cooking for no more than 2 the mini is fine. I cook entrees for mom, dad and 2 kids.
    to me part of the charm of the mini is the challenge of cooking with a limited grid space.these are examples of having to get creative:
    IMG_1265.jpg
    this is 4 tenderloin steaks, they took turns on the top or you can keep the same one on top and cook it a little more after you take off the other 3.
    IMG_3490.jpg
    Salmon filets- double decker

If you want it to be portable, the mini is best in that category. sure you can move a small, but it's a helluva lot easier to move a mini (and it's still heavy). if you are planning to pretty much leave it in one place or have it in a stand/table, A small would probably be better.

The big thing about the mini is it is just fun.
    I can always pop it and my "tool box" in the trunk and bring it anywhere.