Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rack of Lamb Temp

Options
abundell
abundell Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I egged 5 racks on Saturday. Thanks to all who helped me last week.

The results were fabulous... but the journey was a little rough. Did a light red wine, EVOO, rosemary, garlic, S&P marinade which I reduced for sauce. Tossed in a thumb-sized piece of oak. And did the Chris method.

Cranked the egg to 600+. Racks went directly on grate. 3 mins a side to sear. Pulled and shut down egg to get to 400-ish. While the racks were pulled, their internal temp climbed (surprisingly) to 121. Planned to pull at 125.

When temp finally dropped to 400-ish, I put racks back on. Pulled at 126, but it didn't take too long. Let 'em rest for 15-20 mins. So.....

That lamb was still bleating. Long story short, I spent the next half hour rotating racks on and off to get them to just right. Just right for me is where the center of chop has a dime-sized circle of rarish meat. I actually like it where the meat just barely loses the uncooked center, still very pink-red, but not raw looking.

Anyway, 125 with rest didn't get me there. The pics others posted looked like what I wanted, but 125 seemed to low. Any comments?

Thanks

Comments