Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Mahi Mahi (Dolphin)

Fisheyes
Fisheyes Posts: 40
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm gonna try Mahi Mahi on the BGE tonight. Anyone have a recipe or cooking instructions for Mahi Mahi (Dolphin)?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Fisheyes,
    YOU DID WHAT TO FLIPPER???

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Fisheyes, I'm probably way late on this, but Mahi smokes beautifully. I've used oak and pecan, and smoke indirect @ 250 dome until really firm and lots of color on the filet. It's awesome, and really only needs kosher salt and black pepper as a rub. This can take 2-3 hours.[p]For a short cook, Mahi blackens well also.[p]Scott[p]

• Borders,
    I just put it on, so it is a little late to smoke it. I'm going to try 350 F indirect. Don't really know the time required because the filets are thin.[p]Thanks. I'll try it next time. I still have 7 filets left.
    Brad

• Fisheyes,
    350 seemed too low, so I bumped it up to 400. Added the veggies after the first flip and let 'er rip. We'll see.[p]Brad

• Fisheyes,
    It's probably late for you, but 1) make sure you've
    got your grill well oiled so it doesn't stick;
    2) put it on greased foil (see 1 above);
    3) check the whiz's site for his tilapia recipe;
    probably a good match.
    HS

• Fisheyes,
    It's probably late for you, but 1) make sure you've
    got your grill well oiled so it doesn't stick;
    2) put it on greased foil (see 1 above);
    3) check the whiz's site for his tilapia recipe;
    probably a good match.
    HS

• Not dolphin. I love Mahi Mahi and I am not a huge fan of seafood.[p]
    Lee

[ul][li]Dolphin Fish[/ul]
  • HolySmokes,
    Yeah, it was a little late. However, I did the fish for 35 minutes, indirect (inverted plate setter with a fish pan on top of the grill rack) at about 350 F. Side of grilled Asperagus and tomotoes. The fish came out amazing. Very moist and flavorful. This weekend, I am going to try smoking a few fillets.[p]Thanks,
    Brad

• Fisheyes, This is way late, but for the future I use a little olive oil on the filets, heavy with blackening rub, I like a good cajun seasoning, then sear in a cast iron pan in the kitchen, then take out to the egg at 350 for 10 minutes. Hold on when you take the first bite. It is great with brocoli cole slaw and baked taters.