Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brine or no?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm planning on doing a pork butt. I was telling a friend and he suggested that I should try brining the butt first. Any thoughts on whether this will make a difference and if so, any suggestions as to a recipe.[p]Thanks.

Comments

• PapaQ
    PapaQ Posts: 170
    Options
    goldencoop,[p]IMHO, I would not brine. Butts have so much fat in them that you really don't need the added moisture. I save the brining process for things that don't have much moisture in them like chicken, turkey, and pork loins. [p]Paul

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    goldencoop,[p]Salt pork--good for throwing in the bean pot.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    goldencoop,
    In the Good Eats episode, "Q", he brines his butt....[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • tn slagamater
    Options
    goldencoop, brining adds moisture (not needed in a fat laden Butt) and also, usually, adds flavor...especially if the brine has some spices added. In a high fat BUTT, most would rub with mustard and a lot of rubs/spices, on the outside,... that should add all the flavor you need...but brining never hurts, especially if you add spices you like. Personally, I use brining for dry meats to add moisture AND flavor...turkey is great brined. Generally, the Egg makes foods MUCH more moist than you are accustomed to consuming...