Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

JJ's rub

Options
AbqEgg'r
AbqEgg'r Posts: 91
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First used JJ's rub on ribs..most people weren't that impressed, they prefer BBQ sauce. This weekend I used it on a pork butt, and some mustard and rub on a brisket. People were begging for more. Really adds a nice touch.[p]Thanks JJ!

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    One bit of advice though. The first time I did these I made them ahead about 3 hours which turned out to a bad idea as the rub draws the moisture out of the potatoes like you can not believe! I salvaged about a third of those little dry things, but I've since had good success. So just do the oil, sprinkle JJ's and then hit the grill. ^oo^~

• AbqEgg'r
    AbqEgg'r Posts: 91
    Options
    one feral kat,
    Got the recipe and I'll give it a try.[p]Thanks, TR

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    AbqEgg'r,[p]It seems that there are 3 classes of ribs, or rib eaters, depending on how you look at it. You have the ones who like them "dry". That's ribs and rub only. Then you have the dry ribs and dipping sauce and you have the wet ribs with sauce cooked on. I am a fan of the last two - being a sauceaholic.
    Everyone likes them in different ways and the Egg does a great job at all three. [p]Tim

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    AbqEgg'r,[p]I'll bet I've tried virtually every pre-packaged rub (Bilardo Bros, Lysanders, Santa Fe Primo, etc, etc, yada yada. IMHO, JJ's is still the best and you make it yourself for 1/3 the price.[p]K~G

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Tim M, you are exactly right. I happen to like ribs cooked dry with rub. I add the BBQ sauce later, typically at the table. [p]To each his/her own! Bottom line, you can get the flavor and the taste that you are looking for!