Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock chicken

Options
CaCook
CaCook Posts: 68
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tried to follow this to cook 2 chickens

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

but I added a plate setter because I don't want too much oil drips onto the coal, but once I add the setter the outside thigh get almost over cooked while the inside thigh is not done. I had to put foil beyond the platesetter to protect the legs and wings from burning up. Trying to put 2 chickens directly inside the plate setter is not possible, there is not enough space

My question is does the direct grilling really work? I would have tried it but I don't have anything to space up the grate.. (I'd still prefer to catch the drips for healthier choice) I only have the stock BGE stuff.

Thanks

Comments

• Austin Egger
    Options
    Yes, going direct works, but I would definitely rig up a system to raise the grid. I simply use split fire bricks to raise mine. I think all 3 of them cost me less than $6. Some people will put them breast side down for 15 minutes or so and then flip them and others leave them breast side up for the entire cook. I have not tried to cook 2 at the same time yet. :)
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I do them indirect and place HDAF around the perimeter of the grate to protect from the hot spots created by the edges of the plate setter.

GRIDFOILDSCN0674.jpg
  • CaCook
    Options
    Richard Fl wrote:
    I do them indirect and place HDAF around the perimeter of the grate to protect from the hot spots created by the edges of the plate setter.

GRIDFOILDSCN0674.jpg

I have to try this, does it work for ribs so the ends won't get so dry also.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

If part of your chicken is over or close to the edges of the plate setter it will get direct heat and cook faster/burn. Extending foil is an option. Keep in mind aluminum foil will conduct heat and does protect from direct radiation. With what you are explaining I would foil the areas that need protection. You will see a lot of end grid foiling when folks do the larger briskets.

Cooking chicken direct works great. This cook is direct at 500° dome - raised grid. Cooking at lower temperatures work just as well.
    chick500.jpg

You have some options with indirect. Cook whole chicken(s) or cook 1 chicken spatchock'd then the next, cook multiple llevels, or 'scrunch' up the spatchcock'd birds.

Here is low & slow cook 225° dome direct with extreme raised grid.
    chicken1.jpg

When cooking direct I really like using tjv's (Ceramic Grill Store) spider inverted with a drip pan ontop of the inverted spider. Wonderful setup.
    chicken1plug3rdeyeplug.jpg

Chickens are not all that expensive, give a direct cook a try and see if it is to your liking. With your concerns Use a lower level of lump. Cook at 300° to 350° until the chicken is at proper temperature. Chicken and Turkey are safe at 165°. Chicken is also very good when cooked to 190° - 200° internal. Load the lump at or just above the holes in the fire box. Use something to raise the raised grid. Bolts & nuts, fire brick, copper tubing stand offs, kiln stilts, even 4 empty soup cans, there are a lot of ways to make an inexpensive raised grid.

Let us know how your testing turns out.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Nice example Richard.

Kent
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Yes on ribs, and anything else that hangs over and sometimes get overcooked or burnt.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Yup, works well.

I am using it here on a brisket.
    ldbrisket1.jpg

GG
  • CaCook
    Options
    Do you guys brine the chicken?
    this is my first spatchcock it was soft and juicy and I didn't think it was needed. Brine makes things too steamy inside.

Also what rub do you use, I used steak rub and it tasted great. But I am too busy to mix my own rub and I think maybe I'll just pick up a rub off the shelf.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

There are probably as many answers as there are forum members...

I brine the chicken if I want a special flavor which happens very seldom. I haven't noticed a 'steamy' texture when I brine, but I do cook the bird to done temperature and use time only as a guide.

For me, I like the Dizzy Pig seasonings, Richard FL has a fantastic seasoning and a lot of the time I just use salt & pepper and occasionally a light coat of cayenne pepper.

GG
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I would say Yes to Dizzy Pig rubs, Spatchcocking, Brining, and a Raised Rig. Cook to 160 temp at the breast and 180 at the thigh, 300 to 325 dome temp.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Clavin
    Clavin Posts: 91
    Options
    I do direct, raised at about 450 for an hour and ten min.

I will use some alum foil near the end to protect the wings and legs a little from getting too much heat.

They turn out great every time.
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Cook a pan of potatoes below the spatchcock chicken on a raised grid for an indirect cook.

DSC00005.jpg

Or this works great for a semi direct cook for a whole bird.

DSC00093.jpg

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX