Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steven Raichlen is not schooled on the Egg!

Options

Comments

• PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    The video keeps freezing on my computer, but did you notice that every time he uses a BGE, it is brand new? His team must be very lucky to get the once used eggs.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC00807ac2.jpg

I would have to agree it's right up there on my list too. Steven did get the rub right, but blew it when he said clod can't be cooked hot and fast...

DSC08377aa.jpg

I've never heard of Texas style barbecue that was studded with rosemary (Walter Jetton would roll over in his grave)

jetton2.jpg

And as far as Texas style accompaniments, I go the simple route. Heheheee.

DSC02386bbbbb-1.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye
    Options
    chuckrollclod.jpg

Clod and chuck roll are sort of next door neighbors. And actually, none of the big 3 in Lockhart cook within 100° of 225°....
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    From what I'm seeing,the Clod is the Boston Butt of Beef and the chuck Roll would be the Picnic.I think you may have also just answered why I cannot find one.They can sell the Flat Iron for dayum near what the clod would bring.Then they have the other roasts to cut out of it too. :pinch:
  • thirdeye
    Options
    pig010jpga.jpg

Well, lets say you have a 1300# steer.... his shoulder is much larger than that of a hog. So both the clod and chuck roll are the shoulder, the brisket could actually be in about the spot that is called a picnic on a hog, and below the brisket is just called the forshank. I think this chart shows it better. Oh, and you've had plenty of clod, they just called it burger.

chartbeef1.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Hoss
    Options
    That is a GREAT breakdown.Thanks.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Is that the little guy you bottle fed?
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    first off, who is Qing for LBJ/
    second, when did you get "not so red-headed"?????
    Ku has a few years on you, but you are moving up real fast in the "Gray" department :ohmy:
    Third, you ever gonna get out of WYO for a fest - official or not?????
  • Hoss
    Options
  • Hoss
    Options
    I agree.That was a flub.I do like the fact that he tries to learn how to cook on ALL livefire grills.We love the BGE and it is AWESOME! On the other hand MANY have cooked a good hunk-o-meat on several different type grills. :) Arnold Palmer could play golf with a pine knot.I get what you are saying.If you are gonna teach a class or do a show,at least know what you are talkin about. ;)
  • Chief Chef
    Options
    Maybe he has not mastered a low-n-slo since he is out travelling the world making money hand over fist.
  • thirdeye
    Options
    That's Walter Jetton, one of the pilliars in Texas brisket and other barbeque... here is a nice article.

http://www.amazingribs.com/BBQ_articles/LBJ_and_BBQ.html

Yeah, the gray kind of sneaks up on a guy over time...

Wayne-25.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    Options
    No, this one was a little before Boot's time, but part of the same bloodline.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    Derby City Egghead wrote:
    I am going to take up for Steven. He has never proclaimed to be an eggspert that I have heard and my impression is he prefers grills and offsets.

so don't spread misinformation or cook on an offset smoker......
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    He appears to be cooking it direct - or has an indirect piece that sits low enough so that the grid rests on top of the firering. So my guess here is that he is teaching a method that can be used by all his students and is keeping the bed of coals a long way from the meat in a direct setup, in which case they will need to replenish the coals every few hours. This is more of a universal method than an egg method.

He has cooked on an egg for years. I've seen a number of videos and local appearances where he uses the BGE. I don't think this was a BGE newbie mistake so much as it was his way of teaching them to cook a clod via a particular method and not necessarily using a particular cooker.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Fidel, what's up with you?
    we all get our pitchforks out and our torches lit, and then you go and spoil all the fun.... :laugh:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thirdeye my boy, I believe you've answered a question for me! based on the picture you provided it looks to me like the "shoulder muscle" I've been buying at BJs (for about $1.99/lb) is shoulder clod.

What I have been making doesn't sound like what Steve described. This cut is tender but has a vein of gristle running thru the middle. I either try to trim it either side of the gristle and cook as steaks (seldom) or throw it on and cook like a roast.
    I think this is half of one that I tossed in the freezer.
    IMG_0921.jpg

it shrunk considerably after cooking
    IMG_0922.jpg
    Even my wife (not an Egg fan)liked this!
  • Fidel
    Options
    Honestly man, it took me a day to even look at the video. All the responses and finger wagging got me interested enough to click on the link.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    are you saying peeps be bitchin a little too much?
    :laugh:

if so, i agree. :huh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Fidel
    Options
    Well, I was just curious why anyone thought that Raichlen should be schooled on the egg in the first place.

I mean, what's next, they'll compare him to DrBBQ or something?
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options
    Fidel... I think I like your style. I mean really the guy probably put forth a decent clod and I am betting his method worked. I wouldnt do it that way, but if you ask 5 guys how to barbecue something you will get 10 answers. :)

On a side note for those that have not tried it, found it, looked at a Raichlen cookbook, or even cooked something that large you owe it to yourself to try. Clods are great! Probably my favorite Q.

This is a 30 pound clod I did for a work function. I had to cut it in to 2 pieces to get it on the smoker.
    DSC01575.JPG

DSC01606.JPG

And this is about a 20 pounder I did for a cookout at my house.
    DSC01308.JPG

DSC01320.JPG

Makes a great sammich! A little white barbecue sauce.
    DSC01327.JPG
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    he can also learn from us! :huh:
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    great article!
    thanks
    cute locks, too ... B)
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    I kinda got that impression, too, that he's trying to be Mr. Cosmopolitan with his books. It's all well and good that I can now have at my fingertips the recipe for a Vietnamese dish that cannot be made with anything but an herb available at one kiosk on the outskits of Ho Chi Minh City, but I coulda used a few more on just regular BBQ.
  • thirdeye
    Options
    DSC00985ra.jpg

Because flat iron steaks are so popular, and profitable (choice ones can go $8 a pound) a lot of times the other muscles in the clod are separated out and sold as smaller roasts or strips called "tenders". One name for them is just arm roast, and it does have a tendon running through it.

Even though any of the shoulder roasts are popular for barbecuing, a lot of folks roast the clod and eat them medium rare.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• deepsouth
    Options
    Fidel wrote:
    Well, I was just curious why anyone thought that Raichlen should be schooled on the egg in the first place.

if this is a serious question and SR is a serious bbq afficianado and assuming he wants to be taken seriously..... know the tools of your trade ESPECIALLY when teaching others something. misinformation is the LAST thing you want to give someone that you are trying to teach, even if it's such a small detail such as how much lump an egg burns over a span of time..... that's not even taking into account the fact that it looked like he had no platesetter in there.

i'll (possibley make the mistake and) assume that if he didn't know how much lump an egg used over a period of time at temps he was referring to, he probably also didn't know to put a platesetter in there. i'll also assume that he didn't have some other type of contraption such as an adjustable rig in there since it was pretty obvious he didn't.... he COULD HAVE had a spider and a platesetter in there, but with the other missayings, i'm going to doubt that as well......

anyway, mad respect to the guy for making an obviously good living off of his knowledge, but he should be more careful what he lets get put on film and on the internet.

there are alot of times i want to answer something, but because there is a chance i may be wrong, i just keep quiet and wait for someone more an authority than myself.

/rant
  • Fidel
    Options
    So you're contending that Raichlen should be an expert on every type of cooker - even those that are serving a niche market?

He was teaching a method and not how to cook on a particular device. His classes are how to cook BBQ, not how to cook BBQ on the Big Green Egg. That's the difference.

The fact remains that he does know how to cook on an egg. He does it all the time. Quite well in fact. But in this particular instance he was teaching a method that can be used in a weber kettle, an offset, or any other device so as not to limit his audience or teach them all to use a platesetter when, again assuming, that the overwhelming majority of that audience are not cooking on the BGE. Why teach them to load it up and forget about it when they may be using a device that simply does not have that capability?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you missed fidel's point. if raichlin is teaching them how to cook clod on a grill (not necessarily a BGE), his method was absolutely fine. fishlessman does direct low and slow cooks with a minimum of lump.

just because we might toss in a platesetter and load up on lump doesn't mean that was the point of his cook. those people can go home and cook clod like that in any charcoal grill
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • deepsouth
    Options
    Fidel wrote:
    So you're contending that Raichlen should be an expert on every type of cooker - even those that are serving a niche market?

He was teaching a method and not how to cook on a particular device. His classes are how to cook BBQ, not how to cook BBQ on the Big Green Egg. That's the difference.

The fact remains that he does know how to cook on an egg. He does it all the time. Quite well in fact. But in this particular instance he was teaching a method that can be used in a weber kettle, an offset, or any other device so as not to limit his audience or teach them all to use a platesetter when, again assuming, that the overwhelming majority of that audience are not cooking on the BGE. Why teach them to load it up and forget about it when they may be using a device that simply does not have that capability?

so, don't use an egg then. use a kettle, an offset, or any other device.

how is this hard to understand?

misinformation is counterproductive to teaching.
  • deepsouth
    Options
    stike wrote:
    you missed fidel's point. if raichlin is teaching them how to cook clod on a grill (not necessarily a BGE), his method was absolutely fine. fishlessman does direct low and slow cooks with a minimum of lump.

just because we might toss in a platesetter and load up on lump doesn't mean that was the point of his cook. those people can go home and cook clod like that in any charcoal grill

actually, i didn't.