Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vinegar based BBQ Sauce

Options
BoneDaddy's
BoneDaddy's Posts: 257
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So my buddy and I are heading to Memphis in May to compete in several catagories. One of which is BBQ Sauce (Vinegar-based). Does anyone have a good recipe they would care to share?

-Frank
Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering

Comments

• Adam Boca
    Options
    Simple recipe here:

Old-Time Eastern North Carolina Barbecue Sauce
    Ingredients
    1 gallon cider vinegar
    1 1/3 cup crushed red pepper
    2 tablespoons black pepper
    1/4 cup salt
    Procedures
    Mix the ingredients and let stand for at least 4 hours.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    This one is great on pulled pork. -RP

1 qt cider vinegar
    6 oz yellow mustard
    ¼ lb butter
    ¾ T salt
    ½ T black pepper
    ½ T cayenne
    Juice of ½ lemon
    ½ t sugar
    32 oz catsup

Cook at a simmer for 10 minutes.
  • Holy Smokes
    Options
    From Steven Raichlen:
    VINEGAR SAUCE
    2 cups cider vinegar
    1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons ketchup
    1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar, or more to taste
    5 teaspoons salt, or more to taste
    4 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper

Combine the vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, salt, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and white pepper with 1 1/3 cups of water in a nonreactive medium-size bowl and whisk until the sugar and salt dissolve. Taste for seasoning, adding more brown sugar and/or salt as necessary; the sauce should be piquant but not quite sour.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    here is one that Carolina Q gave me that went over like gangbusters and took about three minutes to make. even had a carolina guy loving it.....

Here's one I like. Been making it for years. Typical Eastern NC style, very thin, can't even see it on the meat. 'Cuz it's mostly vinegar.

1 ½ cups white vinegar
    1 ½ cups apple cider vinegar
    1 ½ tbls sugar
    1 ½ tbls red pepper flakes
    1 ½ tbls bottled hot pepper sauce
    1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
    Salt and pepper to taste
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Hahaha! Guess I won't post it again then! :) Thanks for the credit, but I got that years ago from the owner's "manual" that came with my Weber. I rarely use anything else on pulled pork.

Glad everyone liked it - especially the Carolina guy! :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    Carolina Q wrote:
    Hahaha! Guess I won't post it again then! :) Thanks for the credit, but I got that years ago from the owner's "manual" that came with my Weber. I rarely use anything else on pulled pork.

Glad everyone liked it - especially the Carolina guy! :laugh:

it was awesome michael. everyone loved it. i thought i was making it for myself and maybe a couple other people for our homebrew club christmas party and pretty much everyone ended up using it save a couple who reached for the sweet baby rays.

we were using it on pulled pork sandwiches. simple yet delicious.

and the carolina guy was suprised to see a proper vinegar based sauce in mississippi. really made his day.
  • Egg Master 3000
    Options
    I will have to try that vinegar sauce for the pulled pork. Thanks for sharing!
  • BoneDaddy's
    Options
    Thanks folks, we will test these out ove the next few weeks...

Frank
    Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering