Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pork tenderloins?

pokey
pokey Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I read several posts concerning tenderloins this morning before putting mine on the egg and noticed varying levels of doneness in terms of temp. Some posts were as low as 145 while some were as high as 165, I took mine off at 150 after searing the outside at 650 degrees and then cooking the rest of the way at 375 with apple chips for smoke. I just cut loin and I am a little concerned about how well it is cooked (I did eat several pieces from the center, it was tender and juicy). I don't want my wife to freak out and think it is undercooked. Comments would be appreciated.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I pull mine at 145 and let rest 10 minutes, nothing wrong with pink pork. -RP
  • We pull ours at 138 internal and let rest for 15 minutes before cutting. Inside still a tinge of pink and liquids running, but the tenderness and flavor are incredible. Others can talk to the pork/health/temperature issue, but as a practical matter this is one of our favorite cooks and we have never made anyone sick, and we seldom have leftovers :laugh: :woohoo: !!!!
  • pokey
    pokey Posts: 59
    Only pink at top where the last few have been, I associated that normally with the smoke. I read that due to the change in a pigs diet it is now safer to eat pork that is not burnt to a crisp. Thanks for the input.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I did this one a while back. Don't remember the temp (140-ish maybe?), but I ain't dead. For me anyway, I prefer it to be a bit less pink (so I wish I could remember the temp!). It was very tasty, but the center was too cool for me.

4997062483_7bbab65d57_b.jpg

EDIT: I found it...

20 mins @ 400° raised direct, turning every 5 mins
    Pulled at 135-140°

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Here are several I collected over the last year. A few are just pork loins and not tenderloin.

I would pull a few degrees below 140 (137-138), and let it rest 15 minutes.

Here are some I collected in the past year.

Pork Tenderloin
    A Pork Loin
    A Pork Roulade
    Another Pork Tenderloin
    Apple Pork Loin
    De Medici Pork Tenderloin
    Flay's Pork Tenderloin!
    Pork Loin Techniques
    Pork Roulade
    Stuffed Pork Roulade
    Stuffed Pork Tenderloin
    Yet Another Pork Tenderloin
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    If US farm raised pork was killing folks with trichinosis you'd be seeing it on the nightly news, in the newspaper, in Time magazine, on Drudge, all over cable news......and here.

That said I recently cooked pork for some friends and even with telling them the USDA temps that are okay. They freaked at a little pinkness. She has an uncle that did get and died from trichinosis while living in Mexico however.

With modern farmraising your fine.
  • I pull mine at at about 160. I have never pulled one at that temp that was not cooked enough. If pulled no higher than 160 I have found it to be exceptionally juicy still in the middle.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC03400a.jpg

This is a picture of a center cut loin chop (the porterhouse of pork chops) which has both the loin and tenderloin represented. This slice is of the tenderloin side of the bone. This would have been pulled off between 145° and 150°. But notice the even doneness.

With a high temp sear that you used, then finishing it off, I bet your tenderloin looked like the photo that Carolina Q posted. And don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with that presentation. Heck, tuna and lamb is presented that way all the time. But here's the deal.... If people are uneasy about under-doneness to begin with, and then they see some contrast in their slice, the brain takes over and tells them it's not cooked correctly. You will never change their mind. It's like folks that freak out at the pink color of properly smoked chicken legs or thighs. Most of us smoke legs and thighs well into the 180°'s (a good 20° higher than USDA recommends), but if they think it's not done, they won't eat it.

DSC09978cu.jpg

If you cook a little lower and with more even heat, then sear if needed at the end, you will have more even doneness and less contrast. A proper rest will also dilute some of the contrast.

Here is a bone-in loin I cooked recently, I cooked it slow enough that I don't have a different color in the center. This one was also pulled at 150°.

DSC01543ra.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    thirdeye wrote:
    With a high temp sear that you used, then finishing it off, I bet your tenderloin looked like the photo that Carolina Q posted.

Just to be clear, I didn't sear mine, I just rotated it from time to time. Obviously, I timed the rotations well - just LOOK how even it is!! :laugh: Next time, I may well cook it the same way, but will leave it on longer. The color of your bone-in loin is what I was going for.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Some recent pictures of some Coffee Rub Tenderloins with a BBQ Peach Drizzle
    CoffeeRubbedPorkTenderloin.jpg
    Plated & ready to enjoy!!
    PorkTenderloin.jpg
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Wayne you have triggered the Pavlov complex in me. Slurp oh oh I just swamped my key board. :P
  • GREAT Photos! Thought I could actually smell it.
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997