Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steven Raichlen is not schooled on the Egg!

500 Posts: 3,177
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
He uses an Egg here at the 2:05 mark. At 2:20 he says something that made me think, "He's never used an Egg before." Watch.

http://video.aol.com/aolvideo/aol-living/kitchendaily-steven-raichlen-texas-clod-video/97688565001
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Maybe he was cooking at 600° or so. hahaha

I'm not a Raichlen fan - and this is yet another reason.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Wow.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Can't watch it here at work... will watch when I get home. He vaguely mentions the egg as a "ceramic cooker" in a few of his books, but doesn't really talk about its ability.

I know the man can grill circles around me but it always makes me laugh when I look through his books and he says things like "a charcoal fire loses ~50* every hour" :laugh:
  • Wont spoil the punchline, watch the video!!

Additionally, the description of shoulder clod cooking times in the hands of pro's requires some additional comment!!! Roy Perez, pitmaster at Kreuz's BBQ in Lockhart, TX cooks shoulder clods (not briskets), finishing in 4 to 5 hours! And not to open the Best in Texas argument...ok, I will...Kreuz is ABSOLUTELY the best in the State! There...I said it.
  • Nobody is perfect. SR was the one person that got me interested in cooking. I now own a Large BGE in Italy. So I can't say abad word. Andy
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    :huh: :huh: :whistle:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I didn't recognize any Eggheads in the crowd. But if there were some Eggheads there I'm pretty sure they would have spoken up.

Spring "Not All Teachers Know What They're Talking About" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Not suprising. His PBS show is sponsered by Weber. So he probably does not know about REAL BBQ's. LOL I have seen him cook on the monster Weber with two handles on the top and seems five feet across.
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    :blink: :blink: :huh: :blink:
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    i would have said something, the only problem being, I would never be there!! :laugh: :laugh:
  • Yeah. It stood out like a sore thumb. I've noticed this type of slip-up by many folks who think they know everything about a subject. (My boss is like that) Steve's books look good but I can't say for sure if they are, as I do not own one.
  • My guess is that when he lit the EGG, he did the following:

1.) Dumped a pile of Kingsford briquettes in there.
    2.) Soaked the pile with lighter fluid.
    3.) Lit it up with a match.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• My guess is that when he lit the EGG, he did the following:

1.) Dumped a pile of Kingsford briquettes in there.
    2.) Soaked the pile with lighter fluid.
    3.) Lit it up with a match.

Wait... what? What is wrong with that? :huh:
  • Umm... i dont see a plate setter. :blink:

DM
    www.don-marcos-bbq.de
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Heheeee. He's not to schooled up on a Big Drum Smoker either.... Several years ago on Primal Grill he put a drip pan (which is not needed or even included with the cooker) inside the charcoal basket, then proceded to fill the 4" air space between the charcoal basket and the side of the cooker with charcoal. They didn't show it, but I bet that pit was glowing red in no time.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Not to be Machiavellian, but if he is sponsored by Weber, maybe he purposely misstated one of the eggs best attributes.
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    I am going to take up for Steven. He has never proclaimed to be an eggspert that I have heard and my impression is he prefers grills and offsets. So yeah... he was talking like an expert to a group of BBQ U students and he was wrong. I cant argue with that.

What I can say is many of his recipes are very good. Is every recipe in every book heaven on a plate. No... I doubt there is such a book.

More importantly, I am positive he never would start a fire with fluid. He has always been one of the biggest proponents of chimney starters, lump charcoal, and cooking with wood.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Wow.. :whistle: I have his book and have used a lot of good recipes out of it... Maybe that was just an error in talking....
  • Try any one he writes. We can all learn from him. Andy
    Derby City Egghead wrote:
    I am going to take up for Steven. He has never proclaimed to be an eggspert that I have heard and my impression is he prefers grills and offsets. So yeah... he was talking like an expert to a group of BBQ U students and he was wrong. I cant argue with that.

What I can say is many of his recipes are very good. Is every recipe in every book heaven on a plate. No... I doubt there is such a book.

More importantly, I am positive he never would start a fire with fluid. He has always been one of the biggest proponents of chimney starters, lump charcoal, and cooking with wood.

I'm not cutting on him as a chef. I think he's a great chef. I'm just pointing out that he isn't prolific on the wonders of the Egg in heat retention with proper setup.
    Member since 2009
  • Yeah, he screwed up there and misspoke but I doubt it was intentional. Definitely a "huh what did he say?" moment for us Eggheads though :laugh:

One of the things I like about Raichlen is that he tries and promotes all styles of live fire cooking, uses different cookers, and a wide variety of cuisines. I could see how it would be easy for him to make a mistake like that in that situation. (I am surprised they didn't catch it in editing though.)

I have two of his books and I have learned a good deal from both of them.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • I sent the post and link to the video to Steven Raichlen, and explained what was so eye-catching, and got this reply. Not much of an answer, really.

Hi, Judy,

Steven has owned an Egg for several years, but uses it mostly for baking bread or pizzas. Am not sure if he's done a long cook on it. He has a lot of grills at his disposal. (I have an Egg, too, but would be the first to admit I don't know everything about it.)

Nancy Loseke
    Culinary Producer, Primal Grill
    Judy in San Diego
  • This just confirms what I've thought about SR since I got his "Barbecue Bible." There are plenty of good recipes, but a number of things that made me think, "Say what?" I think SR's a writer first, a promoter second and a BBQ'er third. I mean, how can someone own an Egg for years and not know the first thing about how long it will cook a low-n-slow?
    Jeffersonian wrote:
    This just confirms what I've thought about SR since I got his "Barbecue Bible." There are plenty of good recipes, but a number of things that made me think, "Say what?" I think SR's a writer first, a promoter second and a BBQ'er third. I mean, how can someone own an Egg for years and not know the first thing about how long it will cook a low-n-slow?

Maybe it was given to him by The Mothership as a "promotional consideration". Can you imagine how many grilling items are given to him, in hopes that he'd tout about one on a show?
    Member since 2009
  • OH MY. :blink:

REALLY? :pinch:

DOH! :huh:
  • That's embarassing. On a different note, have you guys ever cooked a Shoulder Clod? I've never even heard of one before.
  • Beaker
    Beaker Posts: 293
    I thought all eggheads were shy n docile... :laugh: :laugh:
  • That's a good point.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I have been trying to find one for 3 years.The closest thing I can get to one is a Chuck Roll. :angry:
  • cuts of beef and terminolgy differ by regions of the country ,, what he had looked like a thick slice of a clod ,, a big piece of chuck, a clod here is a huge chunk of meat [20lbs] [pork shoulder that moos instead of oinks ] no way to cook a 20lb hunk at 225 in 5 hours ,,