Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Steak Cook

Options
nysportsfan
nysportsfan Posts: 241
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been keeping the temps pretty low on the LBGE, at the suggestion of a few posters. So, after 4/5 cooks, I decided it was time to make some steaks using the trex method so many use (http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm).

My father had a few shell steaks, and I finally had him leave the steaks out until they were room temp. He always said the meat would go bad. Can't blame him, but now we know better!

So the steaks were a bit thin, but they were decently marbled and they would have to do. Seasoned only with a drizzle of olive oil and generous salt and pepper. I obviously modified some of the cooking steps since it was not a thick strip. I seared at 600* and then only kept the steaks on for about 3 minutes a side when the grill came back down to 400*. I also didn't let the steaks sit the full 20 min, but rather 15. I didn't want to let the juices run out (was this ok?). They came off looking nice - maybe not as charred as some of you guys, unfortunately - but they were freaking delicious. I don't have a Thermapen (it's in the cards later) but the result was medium rare/medium.

I can't believe we've been eating steaks off of a gasser for all of these years. I am just happy I found the Egg when I did.

img20110208184534.jpg

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Looks good.

May you have as much success on your future steaks. My favorite is 1.5 inch thick Ribeye.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    Nice looking piece of beef!

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Glad you enjoyed them, but a couple points of note.

The TRex method is intended for thick steaks about 1.5" or so. Anything under that really risks being overcooked and doesn't benefit a bunch from the method. You obviously weren't stricken this time, but be careful in the future.

Don't use oil before a sear. All it does is burn at those temps. If you want the added flavor/fat then give it a pat of butter after you pull it off to rest. This is how a lot of big name steakhouses do it.

The juices aren't going to run out during the rest - at least not an appreciable amount - so long as you don't cut it. The rest allows the muscle fibers to relax and the proteins reabsorb some of the moisture that has been wrung out by the heat causing them to tightly coil.

Charred is burnt. Some people like that. Yours looks terrific - I wouldn't want it much more than than.

Get the thermapen - it will be the best addition you make to your cooking arsenal.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I usually cook larger steaks and shoot for a 10 minute rest,, I rarely make it past 5 :blush:
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    You have gotten off to a great start. Congrats. Things will get better and easier for a long time. It's a fun ride, enjoy! I will say though, that maybe the second most important item is the thermapen. It just makes sure the most important step, doneness, is nailed 100% of the time. Assuming you're using the proper finish temps and using the probe the right way. Get an e-mail off to 'Mollyshark' here on the forum and she will get you one rite-quick for the best price goin. ;)

Keep it up. B)
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Niiyce! And now you have learned the secret of the egg, NYsportsfan or Skywalker, whichever.....
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    I would say you nailed it.
  • nysportsfan
    Options
    Fidel wrote:
    Glad you enjoyed them, but a couple points of note.

The TRex method is intended for thick steaks about 1.5" or so. Anything under that really risks being overcooked and doesn't benefit a bunch from the method. You obviously weren't stricken this time, but be careful in the future.

Don't use oil before a sear. All it does is burn at those temps. If you want the added flavor/fat then give it a pat of butter after you pull it off to rest. This is how a lot of big name steakhouses do it.

The juices aren't going to run out during the rest - at least not an appreciable amount - so long as you don't cut it. The rest allows the muscle fibers to relax and the proteins reabsorb some of the moisture that has been wrung out by the heat causing them to tightly coil.

Charred is burnt. Some people like that. Yours looks terrific - I wouldn't want it much more than than.

Get the thermapen - it will be the best addition you make to your cooking arsenal.

Great information here, thanks a bunch for this. This is exactly what I need, and why I like being a member here. No oil and a bit of butter, sounds good to me.

I guess my next naive question is: if not the TRex method for smaller/thinner steaks, then which to use? I like the searing for sure, so I would like to keep that if possible.
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    Thinner steaks like that you can just sear or cook at 500° with the larger ones you need the roast to finish the center. Hot tub is another option but again usually for thicker cuts.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Great information!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • nysportsfan
    Options
    FlaPoolman wrote:
    Thinner steaks like that you can just sear or cook at 500° with the larger ones you need the roast to finish the center. Hot tub is another option but again usually for thicker cuts.

I guess I need to get some thicker steaks? :woohoo:
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    Just play around with different ways of cooking them to find the way you like. I usually go 2-2 1/2" thick and grill at 450. There's a nice char by the time they hit 120 that I don't need to sear first or a reverse sear. If I want more I'll just crank up the heat before they are done. Lots of ways to cook a steak just find the one you like.

100_4086.jpg

100_4089.jpg
  • nysportsfan
    Options
    FlaPoolman wrote:
    Just play around with different ways of cooking them to find the way you like. I usually go 2-2 1/2" thick and grill at 450. There's a nice char by the time they hit 120 that I don't need to sear first or a reverse sear. If I want more I'll just crank up the heat before they are done. Lots of ways to cook a steak just find the one you like.

Delicious. I need to become friends with a butcher.
  • Fidel
    Options
    That's easy. First become his customer. Be friendly, ask questions, ask for recommendations - and follow them. Remember his name and soon he'll remember yours. Go 2-3 times a week and make small purchases. Never, ever, ever, ever ask or hint for a discount. It will come if you are worthy.

Before long he'll start reserving good cuts back in the cooler for you and can get you just about anything you want.
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    Wow,, that even works in Georgia? :laugh:
    Your 100% correct Rod
  • Fidel
    Options
    Nah, here in Georgia we just let 'em into the goat pen for 15 minutes and turn our backs.
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    I thought that only worked with Little Steven,,,, oh wait,, that was sheep :whistle:
  • nysportsfan
    Options
    Fidel wrote:
    That's easy. First become his customer. Be friendly, ask questions, ask for recommendations - and follow them. Remember his name and soon he'll remember yours. Go 2-3 times a week and make small purchases. Never, ever, ever, ever ask or hint for a discount. It will come if you are worthy.

Before long he'll start reserving good cuts back in the cooler for you and can get you just about anything you want.

Sounds like a plan. I never ask for discounts, but I never turn them down, either. I think it's time to get some quality meats.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    That first pic was done enough for me :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I often get thin cut ribeyes free from my BIL cause he works at a grocery store and we are in with the butcher. They often reduce the steaks that have been sitting around for awhile. BIL brings them to me so I individual foodsaver them up and one at a time them. ;)

I have done this a few times and pretty much know my timing for the sear. I sear on top of the burning coals x amount of time then twist x amount of time. Now I do the other side and put them on a plate and loosely cover with foil for ten if I can wait that long. I have a spider and ci grid and do this at 400F dome. I you want you can have a bunch of lump in your egg just below your porcelain grid.

Now if your into baked potato's then you are in the right place. I bake at almost any temp 350F - 500F dome. You can bake for an hour at 350F maybe 45 min to an hour at 400F but it all depends on the size of the spud. If you had a thermometer bake them to 200F internal or so. I usually wash them and evoo and kosher salt. Now this is optional "Go home and slap your mama for never baking you a tater like this" ;)

If all you have is the one grid then first try baking your potato's in something like a cast iron pan raised off the grid with balls of foil. Maybe turn you spuds part way through the cook. If i'm baking potato's first I will have my potato's in the egg while stabilizing it. Speeds things up a bit. ;)

When the taters are done take out the pan and foil balls and grill your steaks. :P

Play around and have fun. :)
  • Fidel
    Options
    Do you get those from Butch the butcher? ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    :laugh: No these were from Danny the man-ey the other butcher. They also, have a sheep :ermm: goat farm and short stump to stand on. :laugh:
  • Holy Smokes
    Options
    and oversized rubber boots?
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Hey how did you know. ;)

Welcome to the forum. :)
  • Lobicho
    Lobicho Posts: 557
    Options
    yes you did...