Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Dough Question

Options
JSlot
JSlot Posts: 1,218
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, bakers, I need some help. Mary made pizzas last night using Spin's New York pizza dough recipe. They were outstanding. My question is this. We had an extra batch of dough left over and she put it in a tupperware bowl in the refrigerator. Well, it kept rising and doubled again in size. It feels only slightly "tougher" than last night, but it's still very elastic. Is it still usable? Can it be frozen? Thanks for any help here..........[p]Jim

Comments

• Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Options
    JSlot,[p]Yep, it's still good. I like to make up dough for four pizzas and freeze the remaining three. I just defrost 'em on the counter and stretch out on the pan. [p]Mac
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    JSlot,
    Yes, refrigerated dough is ok for baking. Yes, you can freeze dough but with mixed results. Pizza dough is best frozen when formed into pies first. [p]Clay Q

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    JSlot,[p]Sometimes freezing the dough kills the active yeast and the dough doesn't rise when you unthaw it.[p]Tonia
    :~)

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    JSlot,
    The key to successfully freezing dough is to freeze it before it goes through too many rises. I usually make my dough and put it in the refrig overnight for the first rise. Take it out, punch and divide. Some goes into the freezer and the balance rises again outside of the frig for use that night.[p]Too many rises will exhaust your yeast, make the dough tough, and reduce the "spring" you should get when your pie is baked.

• usa doug
    Options
    JSlot,
    I freeze fresh dough all the time. It makes it easy to store and make several pizza's for large crowds. I precook and prepare my ingredients ahead of time. This makes it easier on the cook. I don't care if the dough rises a lot when I make pizza because I like a thin crust pizza.[p]Good luck in Lakeland,
    Doug