Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Ribs- Major Fail

Options
jbenny
jbenny Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did my first attempt at beef ribs and they turned out way way to salty. Had to throw them out. I could tell the flavor of the meat was great but the rub killed it. I put standard rubs I would use on a brisket but it was overkill.

Luckily, I had a rack of pork ribs which turned out great. Any Advice?

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Uhhh.....,maybe try a less salty rub next time :whistle: :huh:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Never done beef ribs but I've seen some tastee lookin ones on here.I'd say try again with a LIGHT dusting of rub.Coffee based rubs are good on beef.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    What rub did you use? I've used a lot of different commercial rubs and while they do have salt, they weren't salty enough that the meat had to be thrown out. I now use my own blends of spices and only put in a little salt.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    lysanders spicey bourbon and white sugar :laugh: the lysanders is mostly a pepper rub. i like witchy red, but its hard to get, rrp has the recipe, but its really expensive to make that rub, it has to be made in bulk and its still expensive to make
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Thanks Mike - even my personal stash of Witchy Red is dwindling, so I keep it special for pork where we like it best. BTW were able to track down Ken with that lead I gave you the other night?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    like Hoss said a coffee based rub is good. Dizzy pig does a number of salt free rubs and those are our favorite.
  • jbenny
    jbenny Posts: 147
    Options
    Yeah, I rarely put mustard on beef and I did this time. Didn't even look like the mustard was burning off
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    no , just glad to hear he is ok, remember there was some problems, witchy is a great rub, my dad still talks about the happy pappy
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Could it be just to much of a good thing?
    Sometimes it just seems more rub and it will be better and its....just too much rub....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.