Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First ribs...success

nysportsfannysportsfan Posts: 240
edited 12:18PM in EggHead Forum
My first attempt at a low and slow baby back ribs, I started the cook at about 11am, after stabilizing the temp right at 250*. It was pretty easy, actually, just get the fire lit, close it up, and slightly open the vents until it stabilizes. Adjust a bit at a time, if necessary. There was a bit of fluctuation when the meat went on, but otherwise, fairly straightforward. Decided against the Maverick thermometer, and I was fine. Small steps, but they bolster my confidence, ha.

Anyway, two pics. The first is before I foiled, still haven't pulled back from the bone all that much, but were getting there.

img20110206134414.jpg

The second is just a shot before they come off and out of the foil.

img20110206150707.jpg

Really came out great, sweet with a bit of heat. Sad part is, I won't eat any but the one I had as I am off to a SB party. I had one and pops had one, and we are hooked. Plenty of room for improvement, but holy shnikes, this was a homerun :woohoo:

ETA: I used Gator Bait's recipe, thanks for the tutorial!
·

Comments

• They sure don't look like your first ribs. Looks like you aced'em!
    ·
  • Awesome! They only get better from here. Enjoy!
    Knoxville, TN
    ·
  • Looks good NY, congrats on your first of what will be many batches of ribs to come. ;)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,467
    Looks like they will pass the taste test :P
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Mr HollowayMr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Nice job
    Ribs look good :)

Shane
    ·
  • Congrats. Ain't Egg cookin' fun?
    ·
  • smbishopsmbishop Posts: 1,100
    You are really doing a great job with your first cooks. Makes my first cooks over the past 6 weeks look like the minor leagues. Way to go!
    Large, Small, and a LOT of Eggcessories!  Southlake, TX
    ·
  • Thanks all. I have to admit, I was intimidated, but I love doing this stuff. I am looking forward to some additional low and slow cooks, and feel like I might have the ability to stabilize the temperatures, which was my fear buying this thing, lol.

The only way I can even think about half of this stuff is with everyone's help, so thanks again B)
    ·
  • The egg does make it easy to do killer ribs
    ·